title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Gapless playback on Ipod

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • todwilli
    • Dec 2006

Gapless playback on Ipod

As you may know, Ipod recently released Itunes 7.0 which supports gapless playback through Itunes and on the Ipod itself. Before this, I had to use rockbox along with LAME encoded MP3s to get gapless playback on the Ipod. When using rockbox on the Ipod, gapless playback worked perfectly and there was absolutly no delay or glitch between tracks.

With the release of the new Itunes, I thought that I would give it a try. The good news---it works perfectly on my Ipod Nano (2nd generation), however, the bad news is that it doesn't play gapless on my Ipod 5th generation with the exact same files and has a slight gap between songs. That leads me to believe that it is an issue on the firmware of the Ipod and that hopefully Apple will get it sorted out.

My question---I wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem and if there is anything I could do through the encoding process or ID3 tags that would solve my problem? I would prefer to use LAME and was contemplating trying to use the command line features to envoke the nogap command....

Hopefully someone has some experience and can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Gapless playback on Ipod

Actually, I believe that the way Apple is doing gapless is that iTunes calculates the amount of gap and puts in a tag to compensate for it or something. What did you use to load your songs, iTunes, Sveta, or other?

Comment

• todwilli
      • Dec 2006

iTunes....it goes through the "Determining Gapless Playback Information" process....then doesn't quite play gaplessly on the iPod.

Comment

• Deano
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2006

Do you have the latest firmware for your 5th Generation? I believe the gapless information will only work if you have patched your iPod with the latest firmware version.

If it is working on the Nano, I can't think of another reason why this would not work.

Comment

• todwilli
          • Dec 2006

Yep, unfortunately both the firmware is upgraded and it has the most up to date version of iTunes.

Comment

Working...

]]>