title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

m4a tag problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmarino
    • Nov 2006

m4a tag problem

When I take a SHN or FLAC file and convert it to m4a with Music Converter, the tag that is assigned is the entire file path and that is no good - the title needs to be only the filename preferable without the extension. For example what I want (and what a conversion to WAV seems to do automatically) is: gd80-12-13IId1t01
    but what I get when converting to m4a is the whole path as in this example:
    E:\My Music\Download Pen\gd801213II.shnf\gd80-12-13IId1\gd80-12-13IId1t01.m4a after converting several large sets of files I was stuck with these outrageously long tags that I could only remove by purchasing Powerpack. So yes I can remove the tags or rename them so that itunes will list them correctly but if I have to live with this tag automation, I need to know how to tell Powerpack of Music Converter to only show the filename before the extension as the tag OR to Not Tag at all.

Please assist.

Thanks. Bob
  • bmarino
    • Nov 2006

Re: m4a tag problem

OK, so I have waited 2 weeks for a response and none has come. I have tried everything I can think of to instruct a file to conver to m4a without a Title label. Nothing works. In addition when I mass remove either the specific tag or all tags (after conversion), sometimes the program crashes and sometimes the tags do not all clear. It is hard to belive that there are not other posts regarding this specific problem. I need to know whether it is a shortcoming of the program or a knowedge issue for me.

Please help me.

Bob

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

First, SHN doesn't support tags, so apparently those are just generated based on the file name. Why it uses the entire file-path, I don't know.

DO you FLAC files have valid tags?

Also, when you convert, there is a box you can uncheck that says "Preserve ID tags on conversion" that will give you an un-tagged file.

Comment

• bmarino
        • Nov 2006

Thanks for your response LtData,
        In either case FLAC or SHN the conversion comes back with the whole path w/ filename as the title. This would be no more than an annoyance if it were not for the fact that iTunes, when I import the m4a's, converts the file name from the tag, path and all, as originally explained. So yes I did try FLAC - a taggless one - and it added problematic path tag as well and yes I have been experimenting with different setting and it makes no difference whether Preserve iId Tags is checked or not.

I have figured out that I can re-run the whole fileset w/Music Converter set to "Update ID Tag" and that will usually wipe them all off the m4a's. If that is how I must live then I can deal but again, I wish someone else could replicate what seems to be a common flaw in the program to vaidate my issue.

I am also trying to figure out how to add the tags I want to the files after the conversion, and have not been successful ...

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

You could probably try the "Tag from Filename" utility codec, available in Codec Central.

Comment

Working...

]]>