title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Itunes to MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keith.howland1@
    • Nov 2006

Itunes to MP3

I have just download dbpowerAMP Music Converter and have found that trying to convert Itunes files is impossible...so far. I cannot seem to get the programme to recognize any of the files. It recognizes MP3 files but no Itunes files.

Have downloaded codecs.

Appreciate any ideas please.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Itunes to MP3

From the m4a/mp4 codec page:
    Apple supplies protected mp4 files in a .m4p format from its online audio store (whilst dBpowerAMP cannot decode these see Forum for details on fair use). Files ending in .aac are raw audio files.
    Files from the iTunes store cannot be converted by dMC. You have to remove the protection in order for these files to be converted. One way to do this is via Auxiliary Input. See below for instructions.

Comment

• RastaMan
      • Nov 2006

No offense or anythin, LtData, but doesnt that aux input ptocedure seem a bit complicated ? at least for me...compared to tools that are designed for that purpose especially ? and that is converting anything that moves :D

Comment

• Deano
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2006

Well, whatever method you use it is not a particularly quick or simple procedure (there are other methods, all of which are legally dubious, so I will not discuss them). The protection on downloaded iTunes files prevents a quick and simple conversion by dBpowerAMP.

LtData has given you the simplest and most obvious solution to the problem.

Comment

• RastaMan
          • Nov 2006

I am using a software, already mentioned it a few times on this forum, that is very legal and converts all kind of protected files, no matter if they are from iTunes, Napster, rhapsody, etc...and almost from every format, ranging from wma to audio books. And it does it very fast too...
          Sorry if I ofended some1 with my previous post..just tried to be helpful

Comment

• Wayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2002

I doubt that conversion of any protected media content is legal even though many people do so.

Wayne

Comment

• RastaMan
              • Nov 2006

The law clearly states that the protection on the files must not be tempered with. As long as this protections are not touched then it's all legal. And one more thing to it..when converting the resulted files must be used only for personal use, and that makes it legal too...
              Maybe it's imoral for the record labels, but not illegal !

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

Actually, I believe the wording is that you cannot circumvent copy protection. Recording the song as it is playing is bypassing the copy protection. Its irrelevant that you are not actually breaking the copy protection (a la JHymn and similar programs), you are taking a file that has restrictions and making a copy that has no restrictions.

Comment

Working...

]]>