title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem with APE files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speakeasy
    • Oct 2006

Problem with APE files

I couldn't find a specific place in support for this...

I was using CD input I have done hundreds of CD's in .APE
    and keep encountering the
    "COULDN'T FIND CODEC" - ERROR MESSAGE :thumbdown

I reinstalled the Monkeys Codec but it didn't help.
    Any Ideas?

Also I picked .APE for my collection, Do you think it is still the best all around lossless? Or do you recommend something else the only other I was considering was WMA lossless. I just need the short answer not the long one! THANKS! :smile2:

Sorry for both questions at once but HEY then all of them are answered
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Error: Couldn't find Codec

Split into a new thread.

Personally, I use APE for my lossless backup. No real reason, really, all lossless formats are equal in quality. The choice of format mostly depends on what you want it for. If you want to have a portable player play your lossless files, you would probably be better off with WMA Lossless.

Now, your first question. You are trying to rip the CDs to ape? If you are, is the error with multiple CDs or just one?

Comment

• Deano
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2006

Re: Problem with APE files

Short answers aren't easy, so I'll give a long winded one. :P

For one, I don't happen to think WMA Lossless is a better format than any other you can think of. Off the top of my head, the only portable player that can play WMA Lossless is the Toshiba Gigabeat S30, so I don't find that to be a good lossless solution.

If you really need a lossless format for portable use, I would suggest FLAC. It's the most widely supported (although not very, only really on the Cowon iAudio players), but does not compress nearly as well as Monkey's (although it decodes much faster).

Lossless is better purely based on computers to be honest (as most portable's will not support lossless formats). Monkey's Audio is probably still one of the better compressors for lossless formats, so you are probably better off sticking with it.

As for the problem you are experiencing, are you getting the problem with only certain CDs? Or is it all CDs when it has worked on them previously?

Comment

Working...

]]>