title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Encoded by ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alan.S.Flint
    • Sep 2006

Encoded by ???

Hello,

I am not a 'techie', so do not have the know-how that most of you folks have, but I greatly enjoy using dBpoweramp M C to encode audio sermons from my church. I convert from WAV to Mp3.

Last night, after downloading v11.5 I observed when looking at my files of converted sermons that whereas they had been converted using the Lame Encoder in v11, (the one I had used previously) and were displayed as such , the files were now saying that they were:
    Level MPEG 2 Layer III
    Encoded by FHG (Guess) - before it said Encoded by LAME!

The quality of the converted file is fine, but I am just puzzled why I am seeing FHG (Guess). Not an earth shattering issue perhaps, but I am intrigued as to why the file record display has changed. can anyone throw any light on the matter?

Regards,

Alan
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Encoded by ???

Notice the (Guess) part after FHG. If an encoder tag was not written, dMC has to guess at what encoded the file. Its not always right, as you can tell.

Comment

• Alan.S.Flint
      • Sep 2006

Hi,

Thanks for your response LtData. The strange thing, which I did not mention in my first post, is that if I mouse-over all the other MP3 files I have previously converted using dMC v11 & earlier (encoded by Lame), the pop-up still says that they were encoded by FHG (Guess).

I guess some might say that so long as the quality is not affected, does what it say in the display matter? Well yes, and no. It bugs me that's all. Is there anything I can do to put matters right, so that the information when displayed reads correctly?

Regards,

Alan

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Install R11.5 and it will definately say lame (as r11.5 can read the lame header).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Alan.S.Flint
          • Sep 2006

Thanks Spoon, but I had already installed R11.5, even re-installed it after reading your comment but my files still read FHG (Guess).

I 'moused-over' nearly all of the saved mp3's and found only one out of the whole lot showed it had been encoded by LAME 3.96r. The strange thing with that one, is that I noticed (for what reason I know not) it had been encoded at a bitrate of 40kbs - frequency 16000 Hz, whereas most, if all the others had been encoded at 16kbs, with a frequency of 11025, 16000, or 22050.

I know for a fact that most of my files have certainly been encoded using LAME, because that has been so ever since I discovered dBpoweramp several years ago.

So the mystery remains!

Regards,

Alan

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Oh, really old versions of Lame did not write the lame header which R11.5 requires, R12 (in alpha) checks other things for lame (at the end of the file) and would report correctly.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>