title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

[.ra] Conversion succeed but file length is null

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MArc_P
    • Sep 2006

[.ra] Conversion succeed but file length is null

Hi,

After browsing for forum it seems that converting .ra files is a frequent source of problems.
    Here's one I haven't found an answer too looking in the archives.

I've installed dppowerAMP on my Windows XP SP2 machine with DirectX 9 installed. Real Alternative is installed, AC3 codecs too, I've done the DirectShow stuff and all.

When I open a .ra file with dbpowerAMP it opens it fine. I can choose the format of conversion I wish (WAV in my case). When I clic on "Convert" it does things and tells me that the conversion succeeded.
    So, where the hell is the problem then? Well...I do get a WAV file but...it's 1ko big (for a 59ko .ra file) and when I try to play it last 0 seconds.

Any clue?

Thanks!
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: [.ra] Conversion succeed but file length is null

You original .ra file at 58K seems very small. Unless it's only a few seconds long, chances are it's actually a real media meta file (its extension should have been .ram but that's not relevant).

Open that .ra file in Notepad and if you can read it, then it's a meta file. The actual audio file address will be given in there.

Otherwise you may try using the older Real Media codec which is mutually exclusive with the DirectShow one, and requires Real Player to be installed (and Real alternative not to be installed).

Some real media files are simply not convertible - might be protected or encoded in some manner that neither codec can decode.

Then use dMC Auxiliary Input to record through the soundcard as the file is getting played.

Comment

• MArc_P
      • Sep 2006

Re: [.ra] Conversion succeed but file length is null

Hi,

Indeed, my files are small, just a few seconds long.
      I've got about 900 of such sample files to convert to WAV format.
      I'll try changing codec to see if this works. How do I do that? Do I simply unistall Real Alternative and install Real Media? What about DirectShow?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...

]]>