title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lame vs. Panasonic car MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcel
    • Oct 2002

Lame vs. Panasonic car MP3

Bought the PowerPack, spent a full day burning an MP3 collection to play on my Panasonic Car CD player with MP3, full of anticipation ... turns out there blips in all of the tracks !!! All of'em !

The problem ONLY occurs with the MP3 files from dbpowerAMP, and ONLY on my Panasonic CD/MP3 player. Other MP3 works FINE in Panasonic, and dbpowerAMP MP3s work FINE in my other players. Strange, eh?

Anyone else had the same problem, better yet, a solution? Or is there a new codec or something to fix this?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

This may not apply to your case. I have a Panasonic portable cd/mp3 player. It does a good job of playing mp3 files but ONLY if they are constant bitrate. So to prepare them for the cd/mp3 player I copy them (using dB Music Converter) to mp3 using the Lame codec but specifying a constant bitrate rather than a variable bitrate. Having done this seems to have solved that part of the problem (although blips in the original mp3 files may still get through).
    Hope this helps.
    best wishes,
    bill mikkelsen

Comment

• totalXSive
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Apr 2002

You could also try downloading and installing the Blade encoder - it's not as good but you may have more joy with it.

Comment

• Unregistered

Re: Lame vs. Panasonic car MP3

I have the same problem here, but not with an panasonic but an noname mp3-car audio (CLATRONIC, very cheap).
        I tried constant bitrate, didn't change the problem. And now all of a sudden I cannot use "average" or "variable" bitrates anymore (error-message: Codec not installed)
        How can I install another mp3-encoder?

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

Go to Codec Central and download and install one. The Blade codec would probably be recommended as an alternative to Lame, but you will find other codecs there as well.

And now all of a sudden I cannot use "average" or "variable" bitrates anymore (error-message: Codec not installed)
          Is this on mp3 cd's that used to play in your car? What happens if you play them on your computer?
          There could be other causes for the blips you get on playing an mp3 cd on a car audio player. If you sit in your car with the engine off and listen to your mp3 disc, do you still get these blips? If you play one of these discs, do you still get the blips?
          If the answer to both is "yes", then your problem may well be with the original files or with the burner and/or burner software you are using. The brand of disk you use could make a difference too.
          If you get the blips in the car with the engine off but not on the computer (same disk both times), this would suggest that your car player doesn't like what its getting. This might be the codec; the bitrate, frequency, or other characteristics of your mp3; or the type of disc you are using. You may also want to compare a new mp3 disk in this test along with an older disk.
          If you don't get blips except when the car is moving, the issue may lie elsewhere. You might see if you have a way to better cushion your mp3 player. But some players will also be more susceptable to road shock which will disrupt the palyback and result in blips. The other thing that can happen is that road shock may bring the cd itself into contact with the player resulting in damage to the disk (if you leave these disks in the car they may also get exposed to conditions which may degrade the this as well). These dings can add up and cause the player to be unable to read tracks or entire disks that they used to be able to play.

Best wishes,
          Bil Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

damn why was I too dumd to find the blade encoder in code central in first place??!

It is definatly an general decoding problem. The files sound OK on my winamp (PC) and my mobile phone (Sony Ericsson) and my PDA (Palm, aerotunes) - so it MUST be the decoder in my car-audio dingleding. I have it on every CD I burned, so it'a also not the CDs. And I have it no matter the car is driving or not.

I burned a test CD with blade an will run some tests and let you know.

Comment

• Unregistered

yes, it is lame. my car audio does work 100% fine with blade-encoded mp3-files but not with lame.

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

Great!

Comment

Working...

]]>