title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Is it possible to increase volume of a mp3 file

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duhast
    • Jul 2006

Is it possible to increase volume of a mp3 file

Can i increase the volume of a mp3 file using dbpoweramp??
    and if so, how?
    thx in advance
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Is it possible to increase volume of a mp3 file

Originally posted by duhast
    Can i increase the volume of a mp3 file using dbpoweramp??
    and if so, how?
    thx in advance
    It's in the DSP effects.

Comment

• duhast
      • Jul 2006

Whats the exact option?? in the dsp menu??
      Thx

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Volumne Normalize
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• duhast
          • Jul 2006

After doing that, all i hear is noises, what happened??
          What option of "Volume Normalize" should i use to increase the volume?
          I mean:
          Simple Normalization?
          Adaptive Normalization?
          Fixed normalization?
          And what value should i write in the option?
          I have:
          Desired Volume at 100% of Maximum or 0.0 db
          Any help would be aprreciated, if theres already a tutorial on this, would be great to have the link, thx!

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

I believe that 100% is too high. Try a lower value such as 60% and increase it from there.

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

In my experience, simple normalization set at 100% should not be a problem since simple volume normalization works selectively on softer passages. It will have minimal if any effect on louder passages so long as you do not exceed the 100%/0 db level.
              This may still leave tracks that are soft in general too soft even after volume normalization. However, I believe that this generally produces better results than either fixed or adaptive normalization.

Assuming you are using fixed normalization then LtData is probably correct that 100%/0 db is likely too high.

If you were indeed using simple volume normalization at 100%/0 db during your attempt when you ended up with just noises, please post and tell us if you are trying to apply any other DSP effects.

Best wishes,
              Bill

Comment

• duhast
                • Jul 2006

No other dsp effects, just the Volume normalization one.
                I still cant figure out how to increase volume, after convert, its the same.
                Im using the lame mp3 encoder, shoul i use other?

Ive tried adaptive, fixed and simple, theyre all the same, no increase at all, the only change its the size, from 6.54mb to 6.55mb.

I lowered from 100 to 60%, i didnt get this
                "Try a lower value such as 60% and increase it from there."
                How i increase it??

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2002

So you have 2 issues (first, your experience using volume normalization at 100% (perhaps fixed rate or adaptive normalization) resulting in nothing but noise; second, conversion with simple normalization or adaptive normalization set at 60% to 100% not making any significant difference). Is this right?
                  Your first case sounds like a problem with too much boost.
                  The second situation is fairly typical in that simple volume normalization will produce minimal or no volume boost on louder sections of tracks and the boost to the quieter sections may not be what you want. I believe there is a window where you set simple volume normalization to set the maximum bost for a quiet section and you could try adjusting that to see if that will help.

There are other approaches to this problem as well. Some players support ReplayGain which adjusts volume on playback without altering the underlying file. dBpowerAMP Audio Player has a somewhat similar feature called AutoVolume Boost (if I recall correctly) that will adjust the volume of softer tracks to boost the volume of quieter tracks, but only after they have been added to My Music Colection (the music library for dAP) and the track has been played all the way through one time.

There is also a fre program calleed MP3Gain hat many users have recommended that seems to be a more powerful tool than dMC's Volume Normalization function. MP3Gain also has a feature that stores information about the volume adjustment you have made so that you can undo adjustments that don't work out.

For a little more on these topics you might want to check these two threads if you have not already done so:
                  http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=10567 and
                  Hello, all- newb here. I have looked through the forums for help on this subject, but found no exact matches. It is possible I am simply a moron who is unable to find the answers. Help this moron, please. I recently transferred my entire music library from my old Mac to my (less old) PC and it seems that the volume levels of

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
                  Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>