title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Odd results converting with normalization

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aweberman
    • Jul 2006

Odd results converting with normalization

I've been trying to get the volume normalization DSP to work with dMC; I'm converting a mono WAV to mono MP3. And the adaptive normalizing I'm using works really well, really cranking up those quiet bits. But it's lopping off the first minute or so of the file.

I have the desired volume set at 98%. Also, I tried the window size at 10,000 mSec, but that was worse. When I scaled it back to 6000 it chopped off less of the beginning, but it stuttered through the first minute in about two seconds.

Any suggestions?
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Odd results converting with normalization

Apply the normalization as you convert to another wav again, all the same specs but different name or output location. After that convert that wav to mp3.

I might work better.

Comment

• Aweberman
      • Jul 2006

Nope.

More specifics on what's actually happening:

I'm converting a WAV (speech only) that is just over 45 minutes long. When using the settings outlined above, it skips through the first 1:30 in about ten seconds before settling down and running normally. Now, I haven't listened through the whole thing (because that would take 45 minutes or so), but it seems like it's intact from 1:30 on.

Only, according to the dbpoweramp pop-up on mouseover, both files are the same length, to the second. How can that be if most of the first minute-and-a-half is gone?

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

And this also happened when converting the original wav to another wav of the same specs but with normalization applied?

What frequency does the wav have? And are you preserving it?

Is normalization the only DSP effect that's being applied?
        Last edited by ChristinaS; July 03, 2006, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Aweberman
          • Jul 2006

The specs of the original WAV are: 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, mono. I had been converting it to CD quality WAV (though when converting directly to mp3, I had used the same specs there). I tried your suggestion and converted directly to another WAV of the same specs and had the exact same problem. The skipping occurs in precisely the same spots each time.

And the normalization is the only DSP I'm using.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Using R11.5?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Aweberman
              • Jul 2006

Yep, that did it.

I thought I had the most recent version, but I downloaded it on 9/27/05 and 11.5 was apparently released on 9/29/05 (according to download.com).

But that fixed it. Thanks, Spoon.

Comment

Working...

]]>