title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Downloading new LAME compile for dbpowerAMP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b8375629
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2006

Downloading new LAME compile for dbpowerAMP

Hey I found this thread about how to do it,http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4028 but I don't see any .txt file in there that needs to be edited. Where is it?

The only thing I do have, is something called a FILE_ID text file that has "Lame Ain't MP3 Encoder [Win32]" written inside it.

Also, if I do find it (with you all's help), what do I need to change in there?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Downloading new LAME compile for dbpowerAMP

Never mind the text file, it doesn't matter if dMC Configuration reports the wrong version, it will still work (except regarding the new LAME -V presets which won't work).

Comment

• b8375629
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2006

Originally posted by LtData
      (except regarding the new LAME -V presets which won't work).
      But I want to convert FLAC to "alt insane" 320kbps.

Does that mean the slider on the dbpowerAMP GUI won't work anymore?

:confused:

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

The new version of LAME (3.97 IIRC) no longer has "alt insane" as a preset. Instead, 3.97 has -V presets.
        And no, the slider works just fine, its just the presets that won't work any longer.

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by b8375629
          but I don't see any .txt file in there that needs to be edited. Where is it?
          The text file is here C:\Program files\illustrate\dbpoweramp\versions\compression\m p3 (lame).txt

It should have been installed as part of dMC. Its only use is for informational purposes within dMC Configuration to indicate the the version of lame_enc.dll installed. Whenever you install a new codec it should install a similar text file into the same folder.

There is no real need to update the text file.

Wayne

Comment

• Deano
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2006

To use the latest LAME compiles (currently I'm using 3.97b2), you'll probably find it easier to set it up as a Generic CLI component (using the Generic CLI Plugin from Codec Central). Then it is easier to access all the new functionality without having to rely on dBpowerAMP's front-end (not that this is a bad thing), until Spoon gets R12 up and running anyway.

Comment

• b8375629
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Deano
              To use the latest LAME compiles (currently I'm using 3.97b2), you'll probably find it easier to set it up as a Generic CLI component (using the Generic CLI Plugin from Codec Central).
              Well I went ahead and just downloaded & unzipped it to the LAME folder in dbpowerAMP program and it overwrote the 3.93(?) version that was already in there. I just use the slider and not the preset box under the advanced button anymore. (Although I would like to go back and use that when the new version comes out)

What threw me was this stuff about editing the text file, but as someone else said eariler, that was included in the 3.97b zip file, so for me not to worry about it.
              Originally posted by Deano
              Then it is easier to access all the new functionality without having to rely on dBpowerAMP's front-end (not that this is a bad thing), until Spoon gets R12 up and running anyway.
              When's that gonna happen?

Comment

• Deano
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jan 2006

Well I went ahead and just downloaded & unzipped it to the LAME folder in dbpowerAMP program and it overwrote the 3.93(?) version that was already in there. I just use the slider and not the preset box under the advanced button anymore. (Although I would like to go back and use that when the new version comes out)
                Well, technically (and I am using HydrogenAudio as the reference) the -V presets are the best way to use LAME, which is why I suggested the Generic CLI Encoder. If this way suits you, then great, I was just trying to give suggestions based on the ways to get the best encodes out of the latest version of LAME.

What threw me was this stuff about editing the text file, but as someone else said eariler, that was included in the 3.97b zip file, so for me not to worry about it.When's that gonna happen?
                Well, how can I answer that? I can make a bet on the answer being "when it's done" though.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

dMC r12 should be out either by the end of this year or, more likely, early next year.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2005

But I want to convert FLAC to "alt insane" 320kbps.
                    alt-presets only exist in lame3.93 and lower (preset used gpsycho, alt-presets used nspsytune {different psymodels})

preset insane = cbr 320kbps, you don't need to use the presets to set the bitrate to 320kbps (although you can if you wish).

lame3.97 still does have the regular presets (standard, extreme, etc.), they just aren't as complicated as they once were. IE: preset standard = -V 2

I agree with Deano, I too think it is easier to use lame.exe/Generic CLI.. not as pretty though.

Comment

• b8375629
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by gameplaya15143
                      alt-presets only exist in lame3.93 and lower (preset used gpsycho, alt-presets used nspsytune {different psymodels})

preset insane = cbr 320kbps, you don't need to use the presets to set the bitrate to 320kbps (although you can if you wish).

lame3.97 still does have the regular presets (standard, extreme, etc.), they just aren't as complicated as they once were. IE: preset standard = -V 2

I agree with Deano, I too think it is easier to use lame.exe/Generic CLI.. not as pretty though.
                      Sorry it took so long to get back...

Yeah I checked it out and downloaded Generic CLI and read the instructions.

The command line I'm already using with EAC is:

-b 320 --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Is that what I need to enter when I set this up?

Comment

• GiacomoGo
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by gameplaya15143
                        I've tried this approach (from Audio Input & right-click on a .wav file), with this command line for Lame 3.97b (note the leading space, which seems essential):

[COLOR=Blue] -S -V 2 -h --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --tt "%t" --ta "%a" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" --tg "%m" [InFile] [OutFile][/COLOR]

But I only get a 3k file of tags from dpPowerAMP, no sound frames. I tried the de-bugging tip from Spoon in the Generic CLI help file, which shows me this command line:

[COLOR=DarkRed]"C:\lame.exe" -S -V 2 -h --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 ... C:\~dmcin.wav C:\~dmcout.mp3[/COLOR]

I can see & save the .wav file & it's perfect, but I get no .mp3 file. I've tried this Generic CLI both from dpPA Audio Input, as well as right-clicking the .wav file created above. Neither works. However, if I paste the same command line into a command window & tidy up the filenames & tags, I get a perfectly good mp3 file without problem (???)

Anyone have any ideas? Can anyone actually get the Generic CLI to work with Lame 3.97b?

Thank you!

Comment

• Tomb
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jun 2003

Works fine with me. Stick [InFile] [OutFile] at the beginning of the argument not the end.

Comment

• GiacomoGo
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Tomb
                            Works fine with me. Stick [InFile] [OutFile] at the beginning of the argument not the end.
                            I tried [InFile] [OutFile] at the at the beginning, first, and then at the end since lame.exe asks for in the "-?" help notes. I downloaded lame from (Win32 compile):

and "lame -?" reports:

[COLOR=DarkGreen]usage: lame [options] <infile> [outfile][/COLOR]

It turns out that reading the instructions is only half the trick :( .
                            Following the instructions is apparently even more important. This command line works perfectly for me:

[COLOR=DarkGreen] -S -V 2 -h --priority 2 --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --tt "[IDTrack]" --ta "[IDArtist]" --tl "[IDAlbum]" --tg "[IDGenre]" --ty "[IDYear]" --tn "[IDTrackNumber]" [InFile] [OutFile][/COLOR]
                            Last edited by GiacomoGo; August 05, 2006, 07:56 PM. Reason: found my mistake

Comment

Working...

]]>