title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

best mp3 encoder?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • molitar
    • Jun 2006

best mp3 encoder?

I am converting wavpack to mp3 and I wish to know which mp3 encoder is best. I have fraunhofer but is that the best one currently? Secondly what is the best bitrate and settings to use for the encoder?
  • Deano
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2006

Re: best mp3 encoder?

Most people generally stick with the fact that LAME is the best mp3 encoder (oh the irony in that statement). LAME works best at VBR settings, simply because it can use high bitrates when the music is complicated, and save space when it is not so complex. The best way to find out what settings work for you is to experiment. However, here is some good reading material:

HydrogenAudio's Recommended LAME Settings

Spoon's Audio Guide

Comment

• gameplaya15143
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2005

Personally, I like lame.exe v3.93.1 the best. I suggest trying every mp3 encoder you can and figure out for yourself which one suits your ears the best. Different encoders sound differently to different people. Only you can decide which is the best one for you.

Which fraunhofer mp3 encoder? there are many.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Asking which mp3 encoder is the best results in the same results as asking what format is better or what time it is: how many people you ask is about the number of different answers you get. LAME is normally regarded as the best, but again its up to personal taste and the quality of the source and your equiptment.

Comment

Working...

]]>