title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CHANGE: Norton AntiVirus blocking access

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naturedoc
    • Jun 2006

CHANGE: Norton AntiVirus blocking access

I can't say Adeblay UnnerRay (Pig Latin, Ok?) in a post or email or anything else, otherwise Norton Worm Detection blocks me from being able to access the post. So I won't be able to see any responses I receive to my earlier post with this name. I'll repeat the basics here:

Any time I attempt to access Codec Central, NAV blocks me, telling me it has blocked a worm instrusion. The identified worm is named above in pig latin (so Norton won't understand it and block me from being able to see replies to this post).

Anyone else experience this or figure out a way around it other than to disable Norton?

This has happened on other sites, too, and at times I've just disabled Norton. But I always worry when I do. What if Norton is right this time?

Help appreciated. Please don't use the name of the worm in your reply.

Thanks,
    kwc
    Last edited by naturedoc; June 10, 2006, 08:09 PM. Reason: left out a word
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: CHANGE: Norton AntiVirus blocking access

Codec Central does not contain a worm of any kind. NAV might be going crazy because there are .exe files linked to from the page, but they are just the installers for utility codecs for dMC. It sounds to me like NAV is being a little overzealous. Is there a way to make exceptions for some websites?

Also, I deleted your other post.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

I won't condemn you for using a Norton product, but are you aware of free alternatives out there? I'm not going to advertise, but if you search further on the internet...

Oh heck, I'll give you a link or two *cough, 3*, but no advertising comments from me.

Download FREE AVG antivirus software. Get protection against viruses, malware and spyware. Easy-to-use virus scanner for PC, Mac & mobile. Download TODAY.

Spybot offers a unique technology for your security. Far beyond antivirus Spybot searches and destroys unwanted software and protects your privacy.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Well I have Norton AntiVirus and haven't had this problem...at least not yet.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Naturedoc sounds like his browser was hijacked.

Once you've been taken over by spyware the current anti anything program you have will likely not work to get rid of it.

You better get busy to debug your pc.

Panda and/or Hijackthis! (and probably others) can help identify the culprits and recommend ways of getting rid of them.

But, Naturedoc, aren't you uisng a proxy of sorts? Can you browse naturally without the proxy?
          Last edited by ChristinaS; June 10, 2006, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

The best solution is to get a clean slate by reformatting.

Comment

Working...

]]>