title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

aoTuV quality and frequency settings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AASC
    • May 2006

aoTuV quality and frequency settings

Hi,

I'm about to convert my FLAC collection to Ogg. Reading the forums it seems that the aoTuV b4 SSE2 might be the best way but I can't find any info regarding the quality settings as referenced to bit rate. Is there a table anywhere showing quality x = bit rate y ?

Also, I'm converting these for listening to on a Neuros. Any point going for a frequency higher than say 22,050 ? I'm getting old so i might not even manage that high :(

Thanks, Andrew
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: aoTuV quality and frequency settings

Using the plain Ogg Vorbis codec, there is a slider where it shows you the bitrate and quality number at the same place. Also, see here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t16000.html
    It may be a bit cryptic, but it should help.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2005

my eyes!!!!

at 44100hz stereo, q 0 is ~64kbps
      at 32000hz stereo, q 0 is ~56kbps
      at 22050hz stereo, q 0 is ~46kbps? (not really sure on that one offhand)

Since the average bitrate changes according to the samplerate, the only real way to find out is to try different quality settings and see what the average bitrate is. The bitrates for 44100hz audio is the most documented (since it is the same as CD audio).

When you say "frequency higher than say 22,050" are you referring to audio bandwidth (lowpass etc.) or to sample rate? There are very few people who can hear frequencies of 22khz (I'm not one of them).

Comment

• AASC
        • May 2006

Originally posted by gameplaya15143
        my eyes!!!!

at 44100hz stereo, q 0 is ~64kbps
        at 32000hz stereo, q 0 is ~56kbps
        at 22050hz stereo, q 0 is ~46kbps? (not really sure on that one offhand)

Since the average bitrate changes according to the samplerate, the only real way to find out is to try different quality settings and see what the average bitrate is. The bitrates for 44100hz audio is the most documented (since it is the same as CD audio).

When you say "frequency higher than say 22,050" are you referring to audio bandwidth (lowpass etc.) or to sample rate? There are very few people who can hear frequencies of 22khz (I'm not one of them).
        Hi, I'm referring to the Frequency setting on the right hand side of the converter window - I'm guessing that that is the low pass filter setting ?

Andrew

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

No. That is the sample rate for the song. There isn't a way to adjust the low-pass filter using the dMC-specific ogg encoders, including the aoTuV. You would have to use the Generic CLI Codec to do that, I assume.

Comment

• AASC
            • May 2006

Originally posted by LtData
            No. That is the sample rate for the song. There isn't a way to adjust the low-pass filter using the dMC-specific ogg encoders, including the aoTuV. You would have to use the Generic CLI Codec to do that, I assume.
            So what is the received wisdom on where to set the "sample" rate ? I'm using quality 6, Frequency 22k

Andrew

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Most electronic devices prefer a sample rate of 44.1KHz (44100Hz). In fact, some expect that rate and the song plays too quickly if a lower sample rate is used on some players.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Sep 2005

It's best to leave it at [source]

.. but I guess if you can't hear anything above 10khz, then by all means, use 22050hz for the samplerate.

Comment

Working...

]]>