title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Won't convert FLAC to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b8375629
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2006

Won't convert FLAC to mp3

Hello, I'm new DbPowerAMP. Just started using it last night based on the recommendation of a friend.

Well this is the first time I’ve run into this.

I tried to rip Phil Collins “....Hits” down to mp3 format through EAC and my LAME 3.97beta encoder would just peter out and show file path names instead of the ID3tag. The black DOS box as the encoder compresses the tracks that would normally appear, just flashes for a second without encoding anything and then just disappears.

EAC will rip this CD down to FLAC just fine, but when I tried to rip it to mp3 format, it created files that wouldn’t play through either Winamp or Win Media Player (which I rarely use).

I then tried to use dBpowerAMP to encode the FLAC files into mp3, but all that did was create files that were unplayable. I hit the play button in Winamp and nothing happens and the id tag wouldn’t even appear in the Winamp playlist box.

At first I thought my LAME encoder was somehow corrupted but then when I ripped another CD after it, it worked just fine. It seems to be only this particular Phil Collins disc which came out in 1998. There’s no label on the CD saying that it’s copyright protected. What’s going on?

Is there anyway around this? Is there a setting in DbPowerAMP I need to check?

Thanks.
  • RS250 Chester
    • May 2006

Re: Won't convert FLAC to mp3

Have you tried using Mareo with EAC? That what I use. When Mareo is configured, it can rip a CD to 2 formats, once EAC has created a WAV file. Thus, I have mine configured to first create an MP3 file with LAME standard and then it creates a FLAC file.

Mareo will even put the songs in the appropriate folders for you.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Did you try ripping using dMC Audio CD Input?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

No copy protections on a cd stop a track from playing, assuming it is ripped (ie they cannot embed sound information that stops it playing). I don't think the flac file has ripped correctly, anyhow try dbpoweramps cd ripper.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• b8375629
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2006

Originally posted by RS250 Chester
          Have you tried using Mareo with EAC? That what I use. When Mareo is configured, it can rip a CD to 2 formats, once EAC has created a WAV file. Thus, I have mine configured to first create an MP3 file with LAME standard and then it creates a FLAC file.

Mareo will even put the songs in the appropriate folders for you.
          Yeah I tried using that a few months back, using instructions over at www.hydrogenaudio.org as well as the old Mareo rarewares tool over at www.rarewares.org.

Couldn’t get it to work and wound up with XP going into debugging mode, which I canceled. Unfortunately it also wouldn’t work after that, using the old command line I used to use in EAC for encoding mp3s. I had to use an alternative command line which gets the job done.
          Originally posted by ChristinaS
          Did you try ripping using dMC Audio CD Input?
          Nope, not yet. EAC is still considered the best ripper out there. Along with Plextools. I plan on using dbpowerAMP primarily for converting FLAC into mp3.

However, I did buy the license from you all.
          Originally posted by Spoon
          No copy protections on a cd stop a track from playing, assuming it is ripped (ie they cannot embed sound information that stops it playing). I don't think the flac file has ripped correctly, anyhow try dbpoweramps cd ripper.
          Well it wouldn’t work when EAC ripped the CD down to .wav and then tried to convert it to mp3, either. Never mind FLAC.

The FLAC files themselves work ok and I use a utility that rarewares created to do a FLAC test to see if anything’s been corrupted. All clear.

Comment

• RS250 Chester
            • May 2006

I never had problems with Mareo with XP. Did you have EAC pointing to Mareo?

Mine is setup as follows:

Under "EAC" menu, go to "Compressions Options". Go to the tab "external compressions." The "program, including path, used for compression" should point to the location of the Mareo program on your computer.

Then the mareo configuration settings need to be configured. Again, this time it has to point to the encoders that Mareo will use and its locations. Mine shows the location of my LAME and FLAC encoders.

You also need to tell Mareo where the files will be sent and to what directory. I have my LAME and FLAC files sent to different directories.

To make it easy for myself, I located the mareo, lame and flac programs in my EAC folder.

Comment

• b8375629
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • May 2006

Well I finally found an answer and it was a program over at rarewares that I haven't used in a couple of years called lamedropXPd 3.97beta. I used to use the 3.90 version with Nero but when I switched over to EAC, I didn't see a need to use it again, until now.

I used EAC to rip the CD into wave files and then dragged and dropped the wave files on to lamedropXP. Worked like a charm.

What I don't get is what was it about that particular CD that wouldn't let me rip the .wav files to mp3 format? And why the DbpowerAMP conversion from FLAC to mp3 wouldn't work, either?

Strange... :confused:

~

PS: Chester, I sent you a private message.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Sep 2005

are you ripping to 44100hz 16bit stereo in EAC?

Comment

Working...

]]>