title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping using DMC audio CD input or dBpowerAmp Music change size of the file ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Giorgio
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2006

Ripping using DMC audio CD input or dBpowerAmp Music change size of the file ?

Hi to everybody,

I'm new in this forum, first of all I want to thank all the people that have create and developped the dBpowerAmp because it's extraordinary.

My question is: I try to rip a song from a cd (Guns n' Roses - Civil War) to a Flac file and I find that if I convert with the tool DMC audio CD input the result is a file of about 52 Mb while if I convert using dBpowerAmp Music Converter the file is about 55 Mb. Why ?
    If the file is lower I suppose that the quality is lower. Maybe the file is more compressed ? What is the real reason of that ?

Also, using DMC audio CD input is faster to rip because I can write already all the informations (Title, Artist, Album, date etc) so I would like to use this program but the quality of ripping should be the same of the dBpowerAmp Music Converter.

Thanks in advance to anybody that will help me, :smile2:
    Giorgio
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Ripping using DMC audio CD input or dBpowerAmp Music change size of the file ?

When you ripped and converted using dMC alone, you manually selected the codec and compression settings. It probably is different from whatever default you ended up using in dMC Auxailiary Input.

You have to set the ripping options in dMC Audio CD Input. The big button called Rip has an arrow to the right of it. Click that little arrow and select Rip To. From there select compressions Settings. Pick you desired value.

Comment

• Giorgio
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2006

Re: Ripping using DMC audio CD input or dBpowerAmp Music change size of the file ?

Thank you Christina,

I follow your suggestion, but as I read on the FLAC Codec Help link(Start/Programs/dBPowerAMP Music Converter/Help/Codecs/FLAC Codec Help), concerning the settings Low, Medium or High, there's not much to play with here,the resulting (as in sounding files) are exactly the same, ie nothing has been lost compressing, just a higher compression takes longer to compress.

So I don't understan't what make the difference in the file size.

Awaiting your reply, thank you and best regards,
      Giorgio

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

FLAC is a lossless codec. This means that it preserves all of the audio quality of the audio source from which it was converted.

FLAC offers a variety of compression options. Higher compression means that a track can be saved in a smaller file size but it takes longer to convert than the same track converted with less compression.

BTW, the current FLAC codec for dMC (Release 5.3) offers 9 different compression options (and fixes some bugs also). You can find it in Codec Central.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• Giorgio
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2006

Thank you Bill !!

Comment

Working...

]]>