title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Cannot convert .aac file to .mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • melonhead
    • May 2006

Cannot convert .aac file to .mp3

I have some .aac files I would like to convert to .mp3 format. When I try to convert, I get the message "The CODEC required to decompress "file" could not be opened."

I have the latest dBpoweramp release with Power Pack and Registered. I have installed AAC Decoder Release 5 and m4a,mp4 Codec release 3.5

My .aac files were created by StreamRipper (a ripper that saves the stream from a shoutcast via winamp). The songs play fine in Winamp and Media Player but I can't put them onto my iPod as they aren't recognised by iTunes.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    P.S. Added this to an old thread but then realised it was from Jan so figured it may not get answered - so posted again here.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Cannot convert .aac file to .mp3

Did you also load the AAC-specific codec? It is here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm
    You need the 537KB one that is the second codec from the bottom.

Comment

• melonhead
      • May 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yup I loaded it and have the same issue. Also - If I edit the tag in dbPowerAMP it shows the file size as zero and the length as zero, yet windows explorer reports the accurate file sizes, as does Winamp.

FYI - I have followed instructions from another post on this site about how to change the file to mp3 by using Winamp but this is quite a time consuming process ans means downloading a plug-in from Winamp.com and then changing the output of Winamp each time.

Kinda hoping I can resolve the issue in dbpowerAMP.

Cheers.

J

Comment

• neilthecellist
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2004

Hm... You've already installed the necessary codecs, I see. Have you tried converting different AAC or MP3 files? Are you getting the same results still? Try a full reinstall of dBpowerAMP, that might cut it.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

I believe there are some cases where people have been successful using the mp4 to AAC & AAC to Mp4 codec to convert the AAC file to mp4 and then convert to mp3.
          Can you tell us anything about the frequency, channel and bitrate/quality settings for your AAC file?

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>