title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Help with generic cli codec please?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtbse
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2006

Help with generic cli codec please?

I'm trying to use the generic cli codec to create a codec that "optimizes" .m4a's using the container shifting aac to m4a codec (mp4creator).

This is basically an "update in place", and the command line I need to execute would look something like:
    mp4creator60 -optimize myfilename.m4a

I've set this up with the cli encoder, but whenever I try to use it in dmc, I get a box that says codec error ", and I end up with a 0 byte file. The only options I'm providing at encode time are "-optimize [InFile]".

I set up the debug dword in the registry, and rather than the command line I expect (see above), the command line looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Compression\AACtoMp4\m p4creator60.exe"-optimize E:\~dmcin.wav

(note the space between "m and p" isn't really there, just the way the html formatted when pasting)

So it appears that dmc is creating a temporary file (decoding to wav?) and trying to run the codec on that, instead of my original file. I'm thinking that the problem is that the -optimize flag won't work on a .wav file, only on an mp4 file.

Any idea how to get this to do what I want?

Thanks in advance
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Help with generic cli codec please?

Sorry not possible with the Generic CLI.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jtbse
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2006

Sigh.....

Oh well...guess it's more futzing about and kludging things with .bat files for me then.

Just trying to get that pesky mdat atom in the right place after encoding with FAAC so that iTunes can share the files on my network.

Thanks for the quick reply Spoon!

Comment

• Tomb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jun 2003

If you are using FAAC you may be interested in this. There is a thread discussing it here.

Comment

• jtbse
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2006

Thanks Tomb...

Very cool. But unfortunately it appears to me that the Nero encoder fails to optimize the metadata, just like FAAC. (Could be wrong here, just appeared that way to me using mp4dump60 on the resulting .m4a).

From what I can tell. It looks like the iTunes encoder in Codec Central is the only one that arranges the metadata the way iTunes wants it for streaming with DAAP. Whatever encoder WinAmp uses seems to be doing it correctly as well.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• jtbse
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jan 2006

Re: Help with generic cli codec please? <update>

I was actually able to do what I wanted using the Powerpack option to run a command or script after conversion instead of the Generic CLI codec (with a little help from LtData....this thread:

Testing out the PowerPack feature to run a command or script after each or all conversions in a batch. I think I'm missing something obvious here (wouldn't be the first time :p !) Anyway...just for testing, I'm just trying to do a test conversion (no write). Then I click on the PowerPack button and have checked "Skip

)

On a side note...to the moderators...don't know if this .m4a optimization for iTunes DAAP problem is common to the readers of this forum or not,

(this thread: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=9759 )

but if you think it would be useful, I'll be happy to detail how I've dealt with it in this or another thread.

Thanks to all for your help! :smile2:

Comment

Working...

]]>