title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Normalize existing FLAC collection with dbpowerAMP?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tagore
    • May 2006

Normalize existing FLAC collection with dbpowerAMP?

My entire CD collection is already ripped to FLAC but is not consistently normalized.
    Is it possible to use dbpowerAMP to normalize these files in one go? Or would I have to do them in batches?
    Which version would I need to do this?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Normalize existing FLAC collection with dbpowerAMP?

dMC r11.5 and the dMC FLAC codec (from Codec Central) would work just fine. You can do the entire set in one go, but it is recommended to test it with a few files first to make sure you don't get clipping. Also, note that normalization only makes quiet files louder, it does NOT quiet loud files.

When you right-click on your files and click Convert To, you would select FLAC from the drop-down list, and then click on "DSP Effects". You then add "Voume Normalization" (I think that is its name) to the left-hand side after you put in a percentage. The dMC help is better at explaining this than I am.

Comment

• Tagore
      • May 2006

Thanks - appreciated.

Comment

• Tomb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jun 2003

Remember that normalizing makes permanent changes to your files. You would be better off using replaygain.

Comment

• Tagore
          • May 2006

Is it just me or is foobar / replaygain difficult to use - are there any good on-line user guides that even an idiot could follow?

Comment

• Corgi
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Tomb
            Remember that normalizing makes permanent changes to your files. You would be better off using replaygain.
            Does the dbAmp read the changes to the tags and use it or do you have to use another player to recognize the replaygain?

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

Right now, dB does not handle ReplayGain and ReplayGain will only work with those players that support it. Spoon does have plans to introduce ReplayGain with dMC R12 (at which point dAP will still need to be updatyed to play it.

Bill

Comment

• Tomb
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jun 2003

Foobar and Winamp read the replaygain tags. There are more.

You could add replaygain to your files as part of the conversion process - you would need to use the generic CLI codec for this though as you would need to enter it on the command line. This may provide some clues.

Comment

• Tomb
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Tagore
                  Is it just me or is foobar / replaygain difficult to use - are there any good on-line user guides that even an idiot could follow?
                  I find it easy to use. Add to the playlist (drag files to the foobar window or use the options under the file menu) all the files you wish to apply replay gain to.

Highlight all the files you wish to gain then right click the mouse. Select which option you require. If selecting the applying replaygain options and the tracks selected are from the same source CD then use album gain. If they are from a range of sources then use track gain.

If you select scan tracks etc this shows you the recommended changes that would be made - you can press update to aoply the changes.

You can also remove the information or edit gain values manually here as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Comment

• Deano
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jan 2006

I would suggest always applying album gain, as it will read info for both album and track gains this way... so you can pick and choose depending on the situation (ie with shuffle, it might well be better to utilise track gain info rather than album gain for example).

HydrogenAudio also has good guides on Replaygain.

Comment

Working...

]]>