title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to convert from .mp3 to .mp4

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jumpman23
    • May 2006

How to convert from .mp3 to .mp4

Can anyone tell me how to convert from an mp3 file to an mp4 file. I have tried to download the codecs from the dbpoweramp website but it doesn't give me the option to convert the file to mp4. Do I first have to convert the file to some other format before I try to convert to mp4? Can anyone give me instructions on how to do this. Thanks
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: How to convert from .mp3 to .mp4

Install dBpowerAMP Music Converter. If you are using Windows 2000/XP, do all installation steps on an account with Administrator rights (determined on Control Panel --> User Accounts).
    Install your desired codec(s) (in this case, mp4/m4a) from its page in Codec Central (in this case, here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm the top codec).
    If enabled, right-click your desired input file and select "Convert To".
    Pick your desired output file and compression settings.

No, you can convert directly from mp3 to mp4 once you have the mp4 codec installed. If you still need help, please reply here.

Comment

• lucky
      Banned
      • Nov 2004

I've installed the mp4 codec and then nero codec. After the conversion,i get a m4a file. I don't have any player for it.
      I want a mp4 file. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

m4a and mp4 are the same thing. If a player won't see it, just rename the extension. See here about showing extensions: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5361

Comment

• toobs
          • Jul 2007

i'm not sure that renaming m4a to mp4 works
          quick time could read the m4a file but not the mp4

btw, i went thru this process to transfer my mp3 files to my mobile phone - which can read only mp4
          and so far, it can't read any file: neither the m4a nor the m4a renamed as mp4

any clue?

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

m4a and mp4 are the same files, but different applications want different extensions. iTunes and Ipods and apparently Quicktime want m4a, other applications, such as your phone, want mp4.

Are you making your m4a/mp4 file a LC, HE-AAC, or HE-AACv2?

Comment

• lucky
              Banned
              • Nov 2004

had a problem
              Error converting to [aac to m4a],
              'xxx.mp3' to 'xxx.m4a'
              Only aac files can be embedded.

what does this mean?
              am i using the wrong codec to convert from mp3 to m4a?

which codec should be used?
              I only see
              aac to m4a
              m4a to aac
              apple lossless
              m4a nero (aac)

I am looking to make smaller (48k) m4a files as I heard m4a is better than mp3 at lower bitrates.
              Last edited by lucky; August 01, 2007, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

>m4a nero (aac)

Use that one (follow the instructions in the help file about installing the nero encoder).
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• lucky
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2004

ok great - its working
                  is the nero(aac) codec the only one that works?

or are the other ones only for encoding from aac to m4a etc?
                  would it work if I had a wave file instead?

also what is the suggested use of the LC AAC / HE AAC / V2 ?

thanks

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Use LC AAC and if you are wanting to encode from any format to m4a, you need the nero (aac) codec, yes.
                    The "aac to m4a" codec is used to make an AAC file a m4a file, which isn't really a re-encoding process but putting the AAC file into a m4a container.

Comment

• DavidS
                      • Aug 2007

Slightly different problem, but related, so I'll piggy back. Am having problems getting aac conversion to work properly. Here is what I have tried and what I am seeing:
                      1. I uninstalled everything, did a fresh install today to Program Files/Illustrate/etc of the latest music converter version (fresh download) and all the Mp4 codecs from the dbpoweramp site plus a fresh copy of the Nero codec zip file from nerodigital.com.
                      2. I carefully followed the instructions for copying the Nero encoder file to the .../AAC (Advanced Audio Compression Folder), and to the .../M4a Nero folder. Those folders both contain the files that the help file says they should.
                      3. I rebooted.

BUT:

4. If I select either AAC or M4a Nero as conversion modes, I still get the popup saying "in order to use this component you need to install a separate codec from www.nerodigital.com..." (words to that effect); and
                      5. If I run the conversion anyway the output file is generated in zero time and is zero bytes in size.
                      6. Before I did the fresh install of everything, raw AAC was working, but not M4a Nero (so at least I had the workaround of converting to .aac and then inserting into the M4a wrapper using the aac-M4a codec) - I did a fresh install of everything to try to fix it and now neither works (so I am totally stuck). Other kinds of conversion are working great.
                      Any clues? All help would be greatly appreciated.
                      I am using Win XP on a recent Dell Dimension E520.
                      David
                      Last edited by DavidS; August 01, 2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

To verify #2: you put the "neroaacenc.exe" in the m4a folder itself, not in a subfolder, correct? You then used the "Locate Encoder" button to point dMC to the encoder exe, correct?

Comment

• DavidS
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by LtData
                          To verify #2: you put the "neroaacenc.exe" in the m4a folder itself, not in a subfolder, correct? You then used the "Locate Encoder" button to point dMC to the encoder exe, correct?
                          Aha! There was nothing in the instructions about a "Locate Encoder" button, and it took me a bit of searching to find it, in a drop down by the forced options box - cleverly hidden that! :smile2:

Funnily enough, when I clicked the "locate Encoder" button the dialogue box had the correct location already selected, but after I manually reselected it, it is now working.

Many thanks for your help. Suggestion: put the locate encoder thing into the instructions for installing the Nero codecs? It's not something I would have been likely to find on my own.

Regards
                          David

Comment

Working...

]]>