title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Basic nous required.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brett purlee
    • May 2006

Basic nous required.

Hello, to whomever. I'll probably seem a bit of a thicko, here, but I know not my codecs from my prozac. So, I need some help.

My problem involves getting my dBpowerAMP MC 11.5 (only recently downloaded) to even entertain converting my CDs when I load 'em up. All I get is a message informing me the codec (the "built-in" one, the required one, or whatever one) cannot be opened.

As I know the needed codec(s) is/are supposed to be built into the dMC 11.5, I'm flummoxed as to why the converter will not just allow me to put a CD in, then convert to mp3 and automatically save in "Converted Music".

From there I used to be able (before my comp went kaput and I lost everything, thus had to start from scratch) to convert the mp3s to wave/wav and save in my "Sounds". I had no trouble then.

The thing is, I'm sure there's a simple solution but I'm as green as a "go" sign on anything like this. I need a kick-start, so can anyone help?... Cheers.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Basic nous required.

What is the exact error please?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

I hope you are trying to use dMC Audio CD Input for ripping cd's to any format, rather than trying to convert tracks from a cd track listing using dMC alone.

So using dMC Audio CD Input you have to configure it to know which cd drive is to be used as input - that's in the big Options button.

You also have to tell it to what format you want to rip - and that's from the little right arrow next to the big Rip button. You pick the encoding codec to use from there. If it's mp3, you pick that and the settings you want. But remember you have to have a registered version of dMC or an unexpired tiral copy in order to convert anything to mp3.

Comment

• brett purlee
        • May 2006

... To Christina S ...

Ta very much for the information in your reply. I'll give it a whirl a little later today (here on Merseyside, England). It's early hours in this neck o' the woods, so I'll be visiting Kipland, soon.

The only thing I can say on your reference to needing any dispensation for converting to mp3s, is that always before (my comp crashed and I'd to start from scratch), the dMC I used simply converted to these without my accessing anything extra to facilitate it to do so. As far as I recall, I downloaded the converter and did the basic actions which now do not work.

As regards the "trial period", I've had confirmation that this is now up, but I don't know what's required of me on this. The reason being I've again no recollection of having this trial period (and whatever follow-up was needed if/when it expired) as a stipulation for use of the dMC, in the time before my comp crashed. All I seemed to need to do back then, were the same basic actions, from which I now receive the "codec unable to be opened" message.

I'll follow your instructions later today, as I said, and see how this pans out for me. Once more, thank you for your input, Christina S. Bless ya. Be safe there... Peter... x

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Since the release of dMC r11, the MP3 encoder has been added to the PowerPack and Sveta split from the PowerPack and the PowerPack price dropped. This is because the owners of the mp3 patent, formerly Fraunhoefer and now Thompson, are requiring mp3 encoders to be licensed. That is why there is a trial period, as the PowerPack and mp3 encoder are now included by default.

Comment

Working...

]]>