title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

During file conversion computer restarts!!! Can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • briggsy
    • May 2006

During file conversion computer restarts!!! Can anyone help?

For some reason my computer is restarting during the file conversion process. I have tried changing conversion programs but it seems no matter what I use Poweramp, musicmatch etc. The same thing keeps happening for 50% of the files I want to convert. Can anyone out there offer some advice or better still a soloution to this frustrating problem.

Kindest Regards

Andrew
  • our_tess

Re: During file conversion computer restarts!!! Can anyone help?

Look at me, I'm not a nice person!
    Last edited by LtData; July 13, 2006, 01:59 AM. Reason: rude

Comment

• briggsy
      • May 2006

Thanks, but obviously I was hoping for a more positive response. If
      this was an old computer I would count my losses and buy a new one. The problem is this a 6 months old Acer laptop and I am really not ready to give up on it yet. Is there anybody who could give me a more constructive soloution or at least a possible reason as to why this is happening. I do a lot of file conversions, mostly converting bit rates for mp3 files, it worked fine in at first, I am frustrated that this is happening. Can anybody help?

Kindest Regards

Andrew

Comment

• Tomb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jun 2003

Sounds like a hardware or software conflict. Have you installed anything after dbpoweramp?

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Try other programs which stress the computer - prime95 is a good start.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GregP
            • May 2006

Briggsy, this happened to me a few times, too. I'm still not 100% smooth in conversion operations yet, but I found that removing all other similar programs that you have demoed but haven't gotten around to removing, and then removing db in its entirety, and then re-installing just the latest edition of db got rid of "reboot"-type conversion mishaps.

It sounds like a lot of work, but only actually took about 3 minutes.

Point being-- even though other people have told me it's my system, I have a system built and tested (for the last several years) specifically for stability. It's not necessarily your machine.

Greg

Comment

• GregP
              • May 2006

I'm getting restarts more regularly again... must've just been good luck holding up. Haven't made any other software or hardware changes since the "complete re-install" I mentioned.

Of course, the hardware will be blamed... :thumbdown

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

>Point being-- even though other people have told me it's my system, I have a
                > system built and tested (for the last several years) specifically for stability. It's not >necessarily your machine.

By machine I class hardware and drivers as one. XP runs a very tight ship, there is something called ring 0 (the priviledged kernal), any crashes within this will reboot the system (that includes drivers for items such as video cards), but normal programs (dBpoweramp) are not in ring 0, if it crashes XP will display an error message - dbpoweramp could try to overwrite the memory of the system as much as it likes, XP (runs each program in its own virtual memory space, 1 call to access a block of memory not ownded by dbpoweramp and XP will stop it).

Because of the above it is as close to impossible for a normal program to crash and reboot xp.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GregP
                  • May 2006

"Impossible," eh?

We could work through the logic if you like, and find any number of situations in which it could be "possible." But that would aggravate me almost as much as it would aggravate you. Perhaps not QUITE as much, but close.

I tested dMC before purchase, and it worked fine. I obviously wasn't converting an entire library at the time, though perhaps I should've used my original 15-day trial to convert my entire library for "free", and not bothered doing the right thing by supporting the developer. Instead, I elected to pay for what seemed to be a good product, which also gave me the right to proper customer support.

Perhaps I should have just gone the "free" route, and then I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of being the one to explain to the very people who are supporting me and the original poster of this thread, how they're failing in their job.

If you're not one of the employees, Spoon, or anyone else who feels on the receiving end of the above, I don't direct a single word of this at you. A user who is offering customer support for free, on their own time, never deserves to be derided for it. Look on the Line 6 TonePort forum for my same username, and you'll see a guy who has spent many forum hours helping many people, so I know what it's like.

Greg

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Unfortunately, Spoon is the ONLY employee. The rest of us are just volunteers that try to help people here on the forums. The forums is the only way support is given as the deluge of e-mails are too much for one person. We all do our best to solve problems, but sometimes Spoon is the only one that can figure it out and fix it. Sometimes its because of a bug, but sometimes its something simple.

Comment

• GregP
                      • May 2006

Well then whether I end up happy with my dMC purchase in the long run or not, you and a few of the other notables around here deserve a huge hand. I've done the forum "volunteer support" thing for Tracktion (though since Mackie purchased it, they have at least a few Mackie employees on the job now) and now for Line 6 (who DO have lots of support employees). For you and the others to step up to the plate in order to help Spoon out is hugely commendable.

I know I probably seem hostile in some of my posts, and I apologize for it. With all the alternatives in a glutted market, I finally chose dMC and it's not working for me. Within days I learned of other companies having released their latest versions of their products (one with the Fraunwhatever codec which I still trust more) and I guess it just makes me edgy that if I had waited a few days, I might have discovered a working alternative, instead of now struggling painfully through 2-folder at a time (if I'm lucky) conversions and the occasional reboot. It's really tough on the old patience level.

Greg

Comment

Working...

]]>