title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

cdgrab.exe problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kipp
    • May 2005

cdgrab.exe problem

Every time a disc is being read the program hangs for about 60 seconds. It appears to be a cdgrab.exe problem. Task list displays cdgrab.exe for that time using 98% of the CPU. Once cdgrab is finished the program responds. There are no errors though. I have also tried a different CD drive as well as disabling CD-Text reading as well as using the Windows Internal Communications.
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: cdgrab.exe problem

Have you configured dMC for AccurateRip yet? Are you connected to the internet when you start CDgrab as this may be what is causing your hangs?

Wayne

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

The pause is when CDGrab is trying to retrieve information from AccurateRip, even if you do not have it enabled. If you do not wish to use AccurateRip, delete the "AccurateRip.dll" file from the dMC install directory while neither dMC nor CDGrab is running and the pause should go away.

Comment

• kipp
        • May 2005

Thanks for the comments.

I have multiple machines at the location. The program does not hang at all on the other machine.

I do not use accurate rip on either machine. I have it disabled on both.

I am connected to the internet with both PCs.

I can tell you this though, this problem did not occur on the problem machine until I upgraded the entire system hardware. The software is the same. Everything else I have used works great.

deleting the accuraterip dll did not help.

Also, one more thing, it does not do this with all cd's. I have a collection of CD's (40 volume set) it appears to do this with all of them.

Any other ideas please?

Thanks

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Is DMA enabled ? Check it in Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > check primary IDE Chanel (or maybe the secondary one ??) > Properties > Advanced Settings > Transfer mode should say: DMA if available. If it says PIO only, reset it to DMA .

(OK, this may have been the long way to get to thes settingss, but I can't figure out any other right now - it seems it was easier to get to than that ...)

And then again maybe your cd's are special, maybe they have some kind of copy protection.

Comment

• kipp
            • May 2005

I checked and I am set to DMA mode.

Also, these CD's are not copy protected. They have been copied before. The problem has only recently come up. This problem is specific to one machine.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

One other thing that may help. Disable table of contents detection.

Might it also be trying to get to freedb for information on the tracks?

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

To disable Table of Contents Detection:
                Click the arrow beside the options button, NOT the Options button itself. Highlight "Standard CD Player Emulation" and make sure "Table of Contents Detection" is unchecked. Also, try clicking the Options button, clicking Advanced next to your CD drive and changing the choice to "Windows Built-In (Limited)." Also, make sure you are using dMC r11.5 as stated in dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration).

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

In R11.5 that option will auto remove its self each time refresh is pressed (as it can cause other issues).

Does the computer freeze on a new cd when dbpoweramp is not running?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• kipp
                    • May 2005

I disabled the Table Of Contents/freedb feature.

I tried "Windows Built-In (Limited)."

I verified I have v11.5.

The PC does not freeze in Windows Media when loading/reading and then playing the CD.

Spoon, maybe this will tell you something about this...If I have no CD in the drive...pull up the CD Input program then insert the CD. The program will read the data from the CDPlayer.ini and not hand at this point at all. I can then immediatly click the "X" to close the program and that is when the program stalls with CDGrab.exe using 97-98 percent of the CPU for about 60 seconds.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

It is probabbly trying to connect to freedb, disable that in options.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• kipp
                        • May 2005

Yes freedb is disabled.

Comment

Working...

]]>