title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Error whilst converting CODEC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukhiker
    • Apr 2006

Error whilst converting CODEC

I have copied across seom tunes from cd to my computer but when trying convert the converter states:

The CODEC required to decompress (then the file etc) could not be opened.

It also states:

.CDA files can only be converted from a CD drive, not a hard disk.

Any ideas? :cry:
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Error whilst converting CODEC

Compact Disks, when opened on Windows Explorer typically display tracks as .cda files that are of veery small size. These .cda files do not actuallly contain the audio information, rather they reference the location of the track on the compact list along with other information. If you were to click on one of these cda files in Explorer, it will play but only by using the cda file to access the actual audio information (which will basically be in wave format). If you rip music from a CD to your computer, the tracks will be saved as wave files and the .cda files will be discarded (they have no meaning on the hard drive).

So it sounds like your drag and drop copied only the .cda files for each track and no you cannot play or convert it from the hard drive. You need to re-rip the audio from the original CD. Toss out the .cda files on your computer while you are at it.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

How did you copy them? did you just copy the .cda files you saw in the directory listing of an audio cd? those are not audio files, they are only pointers to the audio tracks on the actual cd.

You have to rip the audio cd using dMC Audio CD Input.

----

hehehe - took too long to post :o

Comment

• neilthecellist
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2004

Rip the "CDA" file from the CD itself, don't drag the CDA off the CD to your hard drive. Dragging the 1 kb CDA file from the CD will just drag the pointer-instructions.

(Yes, I know, CDA isn't a format, but for the sake of quick explaining..)

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
          Rip the "CDA" file from the CD itself, don't drag the CDA off the CD to your hard drive. Dragging the 1 kb CDA file from the CD will just drag the pointer-instructions.

(Yes, I know, CDA isn't a format, but for the sake of quick explaining..)
          Yes, you know, but did you also know that both Xoas and myself have already said the same thing? :lustig1:

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

Sorry, my dialup connection got disconnected so Firefox decided to go into "Work Offline" mode without telling me. So I didn't see your posts yet, I started typing my reply, hit "Post Quick Reply", and then it said "Dialup Connection: Connecting". Sorry about that.

Comment

Working...

]]>