title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Input giving me trouble

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD Input giving me trouble

You might try ripping a few tracks in another format to make sure this is not a codec problem.

If you open Audio CD Input and click on Options, is the box for Retrieve Titles (under the title "Disc Online Title Database". If it is not, can you click on that and see if that makes any difference?

Can you tell us if dMC has worked to create tags in the past since its installation on your F: drive? If not, has dMC worked to create tags for you in some other location?
    Is your F: drive an internal drive?

I am leaning towards the belief that somehow the part of dMC that writes the tag information based on the CDPlayer.ini is not able to access the CDPlayer.ini data. I suspect that installing dBpowerAMP in an unorthodox location may play a role in this problem but I am not absolutely positive about this. I have not been able to identify any place where you can change a setting that would enable CDPlayer.ini find dMC or vice versa. Perhaps Spoon or another user could do so.

You might try opening the Illustrate/dBpowerAMP registry with one of your recently ripped CD's (one you know has made it to CDPlayer.ini) and confirm that the registry entry for CDGrab shows the track information or not. This might help Spoon better isolate the source of your problem.

Those are the ideas I've been able to generate. Let me know what you try and what you find and what you think.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

I have dMC installed to a non default location on two computers (Program Files\dBpowerAMP on laptop and D:\Program Files\dBpowerAMP on desktop) and both have functioned fine in ripping CDs and writing tags.

Comment

• Agrajag
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2005

The "Retrieve Titles" option is checked.

It also has had no issues previoiusly with tagging when ripping to MP3 for my son's Rio. My music is on F: but the app is on E: and always has been. All involved drives are internal.

I'd like to verify the codec end. What would be the easiest way to set up a quick test that won't screw up all my existing settings? Can I pop in a CD and have Audio CD rip it to somewhere new in a different format and easily get back to how it was? Forgive me but I don't live in the dB software so it's quite a lot to get right and keep right when you don't know it like the back of your hand. It's the one thing I'd really like to see Spoon address. I'd love to see a single core application where everything else works as a plugin to the core app but can also work independently if needed/desired. That way for us novices, we can just go to one dBPowerAmp Central program to see everything in one place with a single common interface.

CDGRAB.... Thanks for that tidbit. First time I've heard of it. I searched the registry for all instances of it and came upon the last CD I ripped. It included everything but a comment field. Album, Artist, Genre, Year and all tracks are there.

There is one oddity in it. Apparently this data uses the LastTrackID to tell it what the last track is for this CD as there's some data from other CD's I ripped here. The Van Halen CD I ripped had 9 tracks. They're all listed but then there's a "Track11" below "Track09" and it's for an Eagles CD that I ripped not that long before the Van Halen CD. Then the next line is "Track14" and it's another Eagles song from a different Eagles album than Track 11". There's also "Track15" and that's another Eagles song from the Track 14 CD and lastly there's a "Track20" entry with an ELO song that I ripped months ago.

I'm not sure why those extra tracks are there but if the LastTrackID field does what I think it does, then it likely doesn't matter. Still odd.

At least there's hope with the new codec on the way. Spoon didn't mention any sort of ETA so I'm hoping it's closer to days than months.
        Last edited by Agrajag; May 17, 2006, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Well, the codec will probably be dMC r12 only. At the moment, dMC r12 is in alpha and only works with WAV and MP3. Of course, after he releases this codec it will also work with WMA. But right now, Audio CD Input doesn't work with it, nor do Sveta and dCW. Hence it still being an alpha and not a fully-functional alpha. Spoon is rewriting the entire codec interface and all of the codecs so they all support Unicode and track splitting.

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

The idea about trying a different codec is to see whether your tagging issue is codec-related or not. Simplest, if you already have Power Pack installed is, to try ripping to mp3. Should that create proper tags for the mp3 files then this would hint that your WMA v9.1 codec could be at fault. In that case you could try a simple uninstall/reboot/reinstall of the codec only.

Alternately, you could try ripping to a different lossless codec (such as Monkeys, FLAC, or WavPack). If you could rip to a lossless codec and get proper tags, you could convert to WMA Lossless and have a good chance of getting your files transferred that way (although this would, at best be a work-around rather than a proper fix) without having any loss of quality.

My guess, however, is that other formats will not work properly to create tags for you either. But if some other formats do work, this gives hope for a solution short of the uninstall/reinstall (which might turn into an uninstall/clear registry/reboot/reinstall) procedure involving all of dMC.

You can set a custom file path for a rip from the dBpowerAMP Music Converter window or from the Options menu of dMC Audio CD input (top line where it says Rip to Folder). You will want to reset this after doing your test rips to help make sure you don't end up ripping new tracks to the wrong location (although I think that it resets to the default file path after each re-boot, but I could be wrong about this and I don't have the time right now to test this out).

Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

• Agrajag
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • May 2005

Okay, I took the next step and ripped some songs to MP3 format. They failed to get the tracks right as well so it's not the codec.

What does that say and where does it leave me now?

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

That says the problem is not the codec, but either dMC or Audio CD Input. Mabye try reinstalling dMC over top of your existing version without uninstalling and see if that fixes it? If it doesn't, you might have to do the aforementioned total uninstall/reinstall. Instructions here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828

Comment

• Agrajag
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • May 2005

Looks like I'm screwed. I tried re-installing dMC with no change in symptoms.

The problem I have is that over the years I've often re-installed things from scratch and that's worked maybe 10% of the time after putting you through the big mess of getting things the way they were.

Comment

Working...

]]>