title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multiple file conversion balks on one or two files going from mp3 to wma

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sliver
    • Sep 2004

Multiple file conversion balks on one or two files going from mp3 to wma

I'm having a problem getting reliable conversion of a set of files. Each time I batch convert a set of files, one or two of the files, seemingly random ones in the middle of the set, fail to convert. Afterwards, the unconverted files convert without a problem when I do them individually.

Details: I read a lot of threads on failure to convert, but nothing seemed to match this situation.

Using dMC under WinXP Pro to convert about 100 spoken word files from mp3 (160/bps, 44khz, stereo) to wma (20/bps 22khz, mono).

I select all the files, specify same directory, don't overwrite and start it off.

Appears to be working correctly except, at the end of all the conversions, I get a message that it couldn't open up the required codec for file 33 and 75.
    I check my output and sure enough, both mp3 files have been skipped. I right click on each file individually, click convert, and it works without any complaint.

Everything is in one directory. "I" can't tell the difference between the mp3 files and the wma files on an acoustic level.

During similar runs with shorter file lists (58 and 37) I got one "random" file unconverted. dMC gave me a error message, but it gives me some trepedation about larger, multidirectory conversions.

I listen to a lot of spoken word, and the files I get are often vastly "overencoded" (or would that be "underencoded"?)
    and uselessly ripped in stereo when the original was mono.

How can I track this error down.

P.S. I just got this same "one random file" error converting 320bps mp3 music to 128bps wma (no change from the 44khz, stereo, just the bitrate.
    From my limited experience, I am getting ~1 error for each 50 files.

Thanks,
    Sliver
    Last edited by sliver; March 21, 2006, 02:16 AM.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Multiple file conversion balks on one or two files going from mp3 to wma

The first piece of advice would be to make sure that you have Professional Frequency Conversion enabled. This is set in dMC Configuration (Start>Al Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dBpowerAMP Music Configuration). At dMC Configuration, click on the Options tab and you will find the item for Professional Frequency Conversion.

Next, if you have the Power Pack, set the priority for your conversion to Below Normal.
    This is set in the window that displays the progress of your file conversion.

If you have already done these steps the problem is still occurring, try converting sets of files that have consistently the same formats, frequencies, bit, and bitrate settings. I have noticed in the past that File Selector sometimes has trouble when dealing with multiple file formats, but I don't use File Selector all that often and this trait may have been fixed by now.

Let us know what you find.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

WMA is a funny codec, Microsoft have lots of anti-hacking code running it could be interferring if 2 codecs are starting at the same time.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sliver
        • Sep 2004

Thanks for your replies.
        I’ll try xoas’ (Bill’s) advice (I do have power pack). I’m relatively new to digital media so I don’t have deep knowledge to know what I am really doing—I have to take the wigets at faith.
        The file set with the two dropped files was identically coded. I’m going to WMA using the 9.1 codec. I would have gone to 32kbs mono, but I couldn’t find that setting as a choice.

Spoon: By two codecs starting at the same time, do you mean the mp3 decoder and the wma encoder?, or two instances due to parallel processing. I do have one of these Pentium D two bangers now and I have to say that the conversions are much faster than I expected

Comment

• sliver
          • Sep 2004

Oops. Perhaps I am (as usual) my own worst enemy.

The file conversions which I described in this support request were acomplished using the context menu, e.g. right click on fifty files selected in Windows Explorer, click convert.

I have just discovered the more powerful dMC file selector. Can I expect this to be a more reliable and robust selector--should I use it always for multiple file selection?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

They both use the same converter.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>