title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Auxillary Input - level too low and can't adjust using windows controls

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fogey
    • Mar 2006

Auxillary Input - level too low and can't adjust using windows controls

Hi,

I am trying to rip LP's using PC. Have turntable via amp into M-Audio 2496.

Using dMC and Auxillary Input module.

When I press "test recording level" the level is way low and both the slider on the test window and the Windows sliders that come up when you press the speaker icon are disabled.

Is this because the m-audio software is overriding these controls? I have the master volume set to max on the m-audio control panel.

Increasing the volume on the external amp does not help.

Tracks recorded this way are fine quality wise but low in volume cf to tracks ripped from CD.

New to this so any help gratefully received.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Auxillary Input - level too low and can't adjust using windows controls

See below for instructions (in my signature)

Comment

• fogey
      • Mar 2006

Hi,

I have followed the suggested threads and tried all of the solutions but no matter which route I take to get to the recording level sliders (wav and line in) they are always disabled. I have tried via control panel, device management, windows volume control, and through dMC options screen).

Likewise the slider on the test screen in dMC is greyed out.

All of the slider dialogues have M-Audio headers on them so has the soundcard or its drivers disables the windows ones?

If so I assume the M-Audio control panel is the master now but I have master volume and line-in levels set to maximum and the level on recoding is still way below optimum mark (peaks at approx 1/3).

I have attached a link to screen dumps....

Should I uninstall the M-Audio and set the windows controls to max before re-installing? Or would M-Audio installation just re-set them?

BTW I am using the tape outputs from the external amp to connect to the sound card HW in (RCA right and left).

TIA.

Comment

• petriburg
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Apr 2002

:( I'm wondering whether the fact that your soundcard is 24bit 96KHz might be creating an incompatibility? From what I read so far, it looks like we're clutching at straws, so I thought one more straw wouldn't do much damage!

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

What do you get when you click Options on the panel in the second image?

Comment

• fogey
            • Mar 2006

Hi,

I get only a properties item on the dropdown which gets me a dialogue like this....

Thanks for the quick turnaround.....

F

Comment

• fogey
              • Mar 2006

Hi,

I've been searching around and just found this on Cakewalk site......

"Some cards will have their own mixer program that was designed to be used only with that particular card, and may or may not be able to use the Windows Mixer. Cards that have multiple inputs and outputs (more than two) will not be able to use the Windows Mixer."

M-Audio 2496 has multiple input and outputs so I guess it is disabling windows controls.

F

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

OK, it looks like you can only have wav and line-in as possible recording sources, with none that cna still be added.

Generally that should be sufficient, mind you.

The odd thing is that using the controls on the M-Audio contro panel does not affect the recording volume itself. I can appreciate that dMC won't be able to control that, but you should be able to fix it from the M-Audio end.

Is it possible to select a different Mixer device in the properties window?
                Probably not, but there may be, depending on how the soundcard was installed.

Does the M-Audio have recording controls? I think the main image you posted refers to playback.

Comment

• fogey
                  • Mar 2006

Hi,

Thats the only interface to control the card settings.

I will try to get M-Audio tech support to see if they know a solution.

Otherwise I guess I have to somehow adjust the level of the recorded file after ripping?

F

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fogey
                    Hi,

Thats the only interface to control the card settings.

I will try to get M-Audio tech support to see if they know a solution.

Otherwise I guess I have to somehow adjust the level of the recorded file after ripping?

F
                    It's hard to boost the volume without introducing clipping. Easier to quieten it.

Juts as a curiosity, are you able to use the microphone on your system? I didn't see a control for that.

Is there a particular control program that came with the card? Somethign allowing you to adjust speakers and balance and all that? Is it possible you didn't install it?

Comment

• fogey
                      • Mar 2006

Card came with the M-Audio control panel that was in the screen dump, and Ableton Live Lite 4 which is like a way complex looking mixing/recording software.

I tried the mic (PC type with 3.5 mini plug) but it doesn't work....can't find a mic slider on any of the control panels either. As the onboard sound is disabled in the BIOS I assume this kills all the on board sound functions.

F

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fogey
                        Card came with the M-Audio control panel that was in the screen dump, and Ableton Live Lite 4 which is like a way complex looking mixing/recording software.

I tried the mic (PC type with 3.5 mini plug) but it doesn't work....can't find a mic slider on any of the control panels either. As the onboard sound is disabled in the BIOS I assume this kills all the on board sound functions.

F
                        Aha, there you go! The Ableton Live Lite program is probably where you have to look, complex or not. You better start plodding through that :smile2:

According to what I found in Google on the M-Audio series, your card is supposed to be a choice card for PC recording - nothing in the first pictures indicated that (except for availability of S/PDIF input which is rare enough). That other program has got to provide all those wonderful features and tools.

Comment

• petriburg
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Apr 2002

Google offers quite a lot of information on the Ableton Live 24-bit recording software. I was able to view an onscreen picture of the control panel, which is, at first glance, quite daunting! However, it looks as if the panel is a two part device, the lower part of the screen offering a "simplified" view. There is, most definitely, a volume control there.
                          Also, there is, on Google, a "getting started with Ableton Live" tutorial (3.7Mb zip) available for download. (Edited by O'Reilly). You may or may not want to have a look at this.
                          I still wonder about the 24-bit function. For use in a standard CD player, 16 bit is the go. Good luck

Comment

Working...

]]>