title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem when converting s3m to ogg.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Owoc
    • Feb 2006

Problem when converting s3m to ogg.

I recently managed to extract some music from Unreal's .umx packages, but unfortunately the music after the extraction was in .s3m format. I want them in a more common format, mp3 is out of the question because dMC can't convert to it, so I went for ogg. I encountered a problem when trying to convert: it just shows something like "rendering DSM for [name] - 0%" forever. I once left the comp for over 6 hours and there was no progress. The .s3m files play just fine with winamp. What could be the problem?

PS. I'm using Windows 2k professional.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problem when converting s3m to ogg.

I am going to assume that you have downloaded and installed the ScreamerTracker decoder codec from Codec Central here:

If you have not, please do so.

Assuming that you have tried this codec and it is not working with certain .s3m files, you can confirm whether dBpowerAMP Music Converter is able to read these particular files or not by trying to test convert one or more of these files. This is done in the same manner as a regular conversion except that where you would select Ogg Vorbis for your output file, select Test Conversion (No Write). This will not create an output file but it will, very quickly tell you either that dMC can read this file or not.

If test conversion succeeds, you can try converting to standard .wave and then to ogg vorbis. If you cannot convert to .wave or from .wave to ogg vorbis, try looking at channels, bits, bitrate, and frequency settings for you .s3m files that won't convert.

If the test conversion is unsuccessful (or even if it does) you can try using the WinAmp Input Adapter (available from Codec Central here:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-winamp.htm ). This does take a bit of work to configure and will not work with all WinAmp input plug-ins but when it works it can be very useful.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you make out or if you run into any unexpected obstacles.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>