title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problems with converting .mpg for audio CD burning

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Owoc
    • Feb 2006

Problems with converting .mpg for audio CD burning

I have a bunch of .mpg format tracks which I need to burn on an audio CD. For this I need them to be in .wav/.mp3/.cda/.m3u - mp3 is out of the question, because dMC won't let me convert anything into it. I was thinking about .cda, but when I want to convert .cda format doesn't show up in the format selection box in the converter! Why? On the website it says that .cda is built into the program, but it doesn't show up - what's wrong? (I hate when stuff like that happens!). Or maybe I should go for .wav? But I tried it and it seems that it would take about 2 days to convert all 26 tracks and I'd need like 1 TB of disk space, lol! Or maybe I just set up something with the .wav compression wrong? Is .wav a viable option for this? As for .m3u, I could neither find the .m3u codec nor any info on how to convert stuff into it. Can you give me some advice about it? thx
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Problems with converting .mpg for audio CD burning

Moved to dMC Support

You cannot conver to .cda files, you have to have a burning program that makes these files when it burns an audio CD. .cda files are NOT files themselves, just pointers to the actual audio data on the CD itself.

dMC doesn't burn CDs. The dBpowerAMP CD Writer will burn audio CDs or data CDs in .wav, .mp3, .ogg, etc. Also, dMC doesn't decode .mpg files.

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Re: Problems with converting .mpg for audio CD burning

Also, dMC doesn't decode .mpg files.
      I would note that my dMC Configuration indicates that both the mp3 Decoder (standard with dBpowerAMP Music Converter) and the MP3Pro Decoder (available from Codec Center, tabbed link at top of this page). This does not necessarily mean that either decoder can read any .mpg files.

Owoc-you can check to see if your version of dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) can read your .mpg files by selecting one in dMC and trying a test conversion. This is done the same as a regular conversion except when you choose your output format (.wav, or .mp3) you would choose "Test Conversion (No Write)". This will not create an output file but it will very quickly tell you if your dMC can read your .mpg file or not.

If the file will not test convert and if you do not already have the MP3Pro Decoder installed, you might want to try downloading and installing that and try test converting again. If that does not work, then can you tell us any more about the source of your .mpg file(s)? Also, their bitrate, frequency and channel settings? Do you have a program that can play these files (and if so, which program)?

If you can test convert these files, then dMC should be able to help you prepare these tracks for burning. As LtData points out, dMC itself does not burn (record) tracks to CD in any format. You need a specific program to create a CD. There is a companion program to dMC, known as dBpowerAMP CD Writer (or dCW).

To prepare an .mpg track for burning, you should also know whether you are trying to create a standard audio CD (that you can play on any CD player) or if you are trying to create an audio disk of tracks in .mp3, .wma or some other program (which will be playable only on computers or special players able to read such a disk). Assuming you are trying to convert to standard audio CD format, you need to know what types of files your burner program can handle. Pretty much every burner program will be able to convert standard .wave files to standard audio cd. "Standard .wave" means PCM, 16 bit, 2 channel, 44.1 kHz. Standard wave is usually about the fastest conversion speed you will see. Standard .wave takes up roughly 10 mb per minute of playing time. If your results are grossly different, then we may want to look into this further.

So please check to see if you can test convert these .mpg files (and trry the MP3Pro decoder if you need to). If they won't test convert, please furnish the specifics about the .mpg files I mentionned previously. If they will test convert,then maybe you can figure the rest out for yourself. But if not, or if you run into trouble, please feel free to ask for further help. It would be helpful to know the specific problem(s) you are encountering, the burner proram you are hoping to use, the specofocs about your .mpg files (frequency, channels, bitrates) and your output settings (format, frequency, channels, bitrate if applicable).

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>