title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Decoding a DVD Audio Disc

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dryden
    • Jan 2005

Decoding a DVD Audio Disc

Does dbpoweramp have the ability to decode a DVD audio disc into multiple (more than 2) channels? Or am I stuck with a max of 2 channels?

Thanks
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Decoding a DVD Audio Disc

dMC doesn't rip dvd's as far as I know.

It's not the decoding that would be the problem. dMC can handle multi-channel wav files if your soundcard can handle it.

If you can extract the wav files from the dvd, dMC can usually handle them. It of course depends on what you mean by "convert". mp3's are not more than 2 channels in any case. Other formats would support that.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; February 11, 2006, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

DVD-A discs are copy-protected out the wazoo. If your computer or stand-alone player has optical outputs, when it plays DVD-A it is required to shut them off and only use analog outputs. You will have to use Auxiliary Input to record the song as your computer plays it, but I believe you'll only get two channels.

Comment

• Dryden
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for your input. I had a feeling it would be very difficult to get more than 2 channels out of a disc. I know ogg vorbis has some ability to encode in more than two channels, but I guess dbpoweramp does not have that function yet.

Although I have not recieved the DVD-A disc yet, I kinda doubt that it has copy-protection due in part by that fact that it is classical music, and because I have another disc by the same recording company that is a super-audio disc and it doesn't have copy-protection.

By the way, are there any plans on adding a more than 2 channel function to dbpoweramp? I have quite a few DVDs I would like to convert into audio.

Thanks again.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

dMC will deal with multi-channel files that are WAV and WMA, I believe. I'm not sure about other formats. Also, I say two-channel only in reference to Auxiliary Input. It may record more than two channels, but I've never tried it with more than two channels before.

And your classical music DVD-A disc may not be copy-protected. I just know that most of the big label discs are and just wanted to make sure you were aware of this.

Comment

Working...

]]>