title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

File Convert ogg and m3u playlist = Convert all tracks twice

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InkWell
    • Feb 2006

File Convert ogg and m3u playlist = Convert all tracks twice

Each directory has a single album inside, and along with the ogg files one m3u playlist for that album.

The conversion is setup to relocate the converted files onto a new partition like:

original file on D:\OGG\ALBUM33\TRACK1.OGG
    original file on D:\OGG\ALBUM33\TRACK2.OGG
    etc..
    original file on D:\OGG\ALBUM33\ALBUM33.m3u

converted to E:\MP3\ALBUM33\TRACK1.MP3
    converted to E:\MP3\ALBUM33\TRACK2.MP3

I was running a batch convert for some hours before I realized that by selecting both "ogg" & "m3u playlist" (from the converting drop box), that the process was converting all tracks in order and then going back to the first track in the album and converting each track for a second time as they were listed inside the playlist. It was converting every track twice!

When I selected ogg and m3u playlist I was expecting it to convert the ogg files and then convert the m3u playlist *file* by creating a new m3u playlist file for the new mp3 tracks on the E: partition. I was looking for a replica of the original m3u that would now list the mp3 tracks rather than the ogg tracks.

Now I have unchecked m3u playlist and only have ogg selected and the overall time remaining is 50% of what it was when it was going to run the conversion on each file twice. :P

My question: is there any way to copy and rebuild the m3u files to for the converted files (change the listings from ogg to mp3) in dbpoweramp at the time of conversion?

The solution I have been going with at the moment is to make a zip file that adds any m3u files (retaining subdirectory structure) from D:\OGG\ALMUM???\*.m3u... it ignores the D:\OGG structure and keeps the Album folder structure.

Unzip that file onto the E: partition and then run a text editor (UltraEdit) to search and replace the string ".ogg" with ".mp3" in any m3u files found on the E: partition.

It is quick and automated but it isn't 100%. There were (and could be more) album folders in the converted partition that had to be renamed to correct an error.

In those cases when the playlists are unzipped any playlist for an album that has had its folder renamed lands in a directory with the original name.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: File Convert ogg and m3u playlist = Convert all tracks twice

It is picking up and opening the m3u playlist, do conversions using 'File Selector' and turn off all input types except playlists.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• InkWell
      • Feb 2006

Eventually I did figure out that checking "m3u playlist" in the converting dropbox and checking the file type found in the playlist would do everything twice, and so I have now unchecked m3u playlists and only have ogg selected.

I see now my original post should have been in the wishlist thread....

I'd like to have a copy of any original playlist (it will point to the source file type) found in the source folder to be copied into the target directory and then edited to point to the converted to file type (and to do that *on the fly*).

My original album folders have one playlist file for each album.

So after I run the conversion I have an identical folder structure on the destination drive, with all new mp3 tracks in their correct album folder however now I don't have a playlist for that album (it gets left behind with the ogg files).

My wishlist item:

If the source tracks have a m3u playlist file (in the source folder/subfolder), make a m3u playlist just like it in the target folder/subfolder with references to the converted files.

Thank You.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

What Spoon was suggesting was just choosing the playlists for conversion, which, if I understand his comment right, should lead to the conversion of the constituent files within the playlist also (I haven't tried this myself).

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• gr8ful
          • Feb 2007

I've been trying this as well - what we are looking for is the option to generate a copy of the original m3u in the new folder, with refs to the newly-created mp3's instead of the source files. All I get - using either the m3u checkbox or the source file checkbox, or both - is the mp3's in a new folder (which is great), but not a new m3u. Is there a batch converter that will generate a copy of the m3u as well?

Thx!

Comment

• Wayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2002

I think the answer is no.

Wayne

Comment

• gr8ful
              • Feb 2007

Thanks Wayne.

If the answer really is no, does anybody know of a (preferably free...) active m3u generator that will do this easily, based on the tag info (track #'s) from the mp3's in each of the newly-created subfolders? That would be tremendously helpful!

Comment

• gr8ful
                • Feb 2007

A simple and free batch text converter can be found here:

Comment

Working...

]]>