title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

wavpack

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dejiinal
    • Feb 2006

wavpack

I noticed wavpack uses it's unique system of lossy and lossless. Using the .wv for lossy, and combining both .wv and .wvc for lossless.

However, when I try to convert it to another lossless format, via the dbconverter, it only sees the .wv files. Does it even bother with the .wvc to make it lossless? Or did I just convert the lossy part?

Thanks.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: wavpack

The short answer appears to be that yes, it makes it lossless.

The current Wavpack codec allows for either lossless (using .wv alone), lossy (using just .wv), or hybrid (using .wv with a .wvc correction file) encoding. According to the Help file for this codec:
    writing a lossy .wv file and correction .wvc which when in the same folder decodes as lossless
    Testing this, I ripped a track from cd to wavepack in both lossless and hybrid modes and then converted to corresponind files both to wma lossless and then to wave.
    When accessing the hybrid file opening dMC first, you only see the .wv file. When you access the folder through Windows Explorer you will see both files side by side.

When converting, you will get the same result either converting the .wv hybrid file through dMC (where you only see that file) or through Windows explorer (where you see both files).

More to the point, you get the same results (in terms of the bits in the file) converting the hybrid .wv file to wma lossless as you get from converting lossless .wv to wma lossless.

I assume that this holds true only where the .wvc (correction) file is in the same folder as the corresponding hybrid (lossy) .wv file.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

I think as long as the .wvc file is in the same folder as the .wv file, it is lossless. dMC probably look for the .wvc file in that folder when it goes to decode the file

Comment

• dejiinal
        • Feb 2006

Hey! Thanks a bunch~ That helps

Comment

Working...

]]>