title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

LAME ACM + ABR = no more memory

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gameplaya15143
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Sep 2005

LAME ACM + ABR = no more memory

here is a problem I came across today while playing around with stuff...

lame acm v3.96.1 (i think thats the version i have installed anyways.. could be 3.95)

using the wave writer, i select the compression format mp3, set it to 44100hz 118kbps stereo... click convert...

i had about 384mb of ram free, after clicked convert, all of my ram was eaten!.. winblows told me it would increase the pagefile size (i have it disabled anyways so its meaningless), then winblows gave the cannot access memory blah blah error (this setting works perfectly fine with winamp's diskwriter, doesnt eat my memory)

what little bit of the file I do get.. sounds messed up, give it a try and you will know what I mean

using CBR settings have no problem.

I'm not asking for help, just want to make sure spoon is aware of this problem.

give it a try everyone, watch your pagefile usage
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: LAME ACM + ABR = no more memory

That acm has serious problems, on my laptop installing it and bringing up the compression settings (from any program) crashes.

dMC R12 will bypass the LAME ACM using its own.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gameplaya15143
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2005

hmm... this is the only time i have ever had any problems with it... it works perfectly fine in every other program (ok so the only ones i ever have used it in is virtualdub and winamp)

it's lameacm.acm v0.9.1.0 (from lame 3.96.1) that i have installed, ill see if the previous lame acm v0.0.9 from lame 3.95 has the same problem

what do you mean by:
      "dMC R12 will bypass the LAME ACM using its own." ??
      ^^ that doesn't sound like a 'good' thing to me, but maybe i just dont understand :yawn: it sounds like it will 'hide' lame acm from the wave compression list, i hope not, cause it's my choice to have it installed

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Bypass in this instance means dBpowerAMP will use the propper mp3 Lame Encoder and dBpowerAMP will put it into the wave file (the new codecs can do this).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
          Bypass in this instance means dBpowerAMP will use the propper mp3 Lame Encoder and dBpowerAMP will put it into the wave file (the new codecs can do this).
          I'm fine with that, just as long as I have the option to choose if I want to use it.

anyways.. while I'm at it, there are a couple other problems with the wave writer when using a compressor...

atrac3 crashes dmc upon encode completion (yea atrac3 sucks but still..)

and playback issues from the fhg mp3 codec (both radium and the one from wmp10)... playback skips occationally probably due to weird block sizes (i'm guessing here).. but when encoded with winamp's diskwriter, even when forcing wave output, there are no problems, this only happens when encoded with dmc :cry:

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

>atrac3 crashes dmc upon encode completion (yea atrac3 sucks but still..)

Yes the atrac3 codec detects there is a non-sony product and crashes on purpose, there is supposidly some kind of hack.

Skips in which player?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gameplaya15143
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Sep 2005

was in winamp (in_wave)... but I can't seem to reproduce the issue today :confused: (i just tried it again, and it played perfectly fine) so now i'm confused

Comment

Working...

]]>