title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Track 6 features the harpsichordist: Annelie De Man

Because I have appended Von/Van in my other classicals as:
    (SORT) Beethoven, Ludwig van

(SORT) Karajan, Herbert von

should I do the same with:
    (SORT) Man, Annelie De
    I get confused by these questions. Surely, it all depends on how you want to sort Annelie De Man, which you fail to mention.

As I see it, you have 3 options for the sort tag 1. Annelie De Man 2. Man, Annelie De 3. De Man, Annelie.

Option 1. Sorts Annelie De Man under A, 2. under M and 3. under D.

Comment

• Oggy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2015

Hi,

I am ripping a Ton Bruynel CD 'Looking Ears':

Track 6 features the harpsichordist: Annelie De Man

Because I have appended Von/Van in my other classicals as:
      (SORT) Beethoven, Ludwig van

(SORT) Karajan, Herbert von

should I do the same with:
      (SORT) Man, Annelie De

Many thanks,

Paul
      Paul,

All I can say, is that I have used these:

Sort: Beethoven, Ludwig van

Sort: Karajan, Herbert von

Sort: de Burgh, Chris

Probably the most controversial part of the above, is admitting to owning a Chris de Burgh album! (Actually, the rather good, Spanish Train And Other Stories).

The only reason I use the above, is that is how I expect them to be organised: you may, or may not.

Go with whatever logically seems correct to you.
      Last edited by Oggy; 03-29-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
        I get confused by these questions. Surely, it all depends on how you want to sort Annelie De Man, which you fail to mention.

As I see it, you have 3 options for the sort tag 1. Annelie De Man 2. Man, Annelie De 3. De Man, Annelie.

Option 1. Sorts Annelie De Man under A, 2. under M and 3. under D.
        The question was not aimed at trying to cause any confusion; and I was not aware that I had failed to clarify any information. On the previous page, this thread discusses the options/reasons for arranging/appending the names of Dutch/German artists. My question is in direct relation to those considerations (ie. whether users favour the two options - as per your [above] example 1 or 2).
        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-29-2018, 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
          All I can say, is that I have used these:

Sort: Beethoven, Ludwig van

Sort: Karajan, Herbert Von

Sort: de Burgh, Chris

The only reason I use the above, is that is how I expect them to be organised: you may, or may not.

Go with whatever logically seems correct to you.
          Thanks Oggy,

That's really helpful (and interesting!).

And so you make an exception for Mr Lady In Red? This is because of where you expect (and like) to see this artist when you are browsing?; rather than for grammatical reasons (as per Dat Ei).

I think I am going to favour:
          (SORT) Man, Annelie De

Simply for (yet again) the reason of maintaining consistency. Funnily enough (or rather frustratingly so!), having ripped over 30 x classicals I actually wish I had tagged all relevants as:
          (SORT) von Karajan, Herbert

I was adamant when I started ripping such artists that I disliked the latter-mentioned, but having now compiled many instances containing this format, I can see Dat Ei's point. However, I am sticking with what I have now (like it or not).

Cheers,

Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-29-2018, 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Oggy,

Did you manage, as yet, to have a quick look at my question of post 449, please? It would be great to hear your thoughts, should you be kind enough to assist.

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

Thanks Oggy,

That's really helpful (and interesting!).

And so you make an exception for Mr Lady In Red? This is because of where you expect (and like) to see this artist when you are browsing?; rather than for grammatical reasons (as per Dat Ei).

I think I am going to favour:
              (SORT) Man, Annelie De

Simply for (yet again) the reason of maintaining consistency. Funnily enough (or rather frustratingly so!), having ripped over 30 x classicals I actually wish I had tagged all relevants as:
              (SORT) von Karajan, Herbert

I was adamant when I started ripping such artists that I disliked the latter-mentioned, but having now compiled many instances containing this format, I can see Dat Ei's point. However, I am sticking with what I have now (like it or not).

Cheers,

Paul
              Hi Paul,

I don't think that I am making an exception for Chris de Burgh, de Burgh is his mother's surname, which he took as his stage name.

Equally Annelise de Man, her husband was Roderik de Man, so I presume, de Man was her surname.

Beethoven / Karajan; rightly or wrongly, the boxset shows Karajan and Beethoven. All my LPs and CDs show Beethoven not van Beethoven. All I am doing is trying to keep things simple, whilst using sort tags. 35 years ago, my Beethoven went in Bs and de Burgh went under Ds. That was as much (or little!) thought that I put into it: a couple of seconds 35 years ago!

Explaining it gives me a headache!!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

I don't think that I am making an exception for Chris de Burgh, de Burgh is his mother's surname, which he took as his stage name.

Equally Annelise de Man, her husband was Roderik de Man, so I presume, de Man was her surname.

Beethoven / Karajan; rightly or wrongly, the boxset shows Karajan and Beethoven. All my LPs and CDs show Beethoven not van Beethoven. All I am doing is trying to keep things simple, whilst using sort tags. 35 years ago, my Beethoven went in Bs and de Burgh went under Ds. That was as much (or little!) thought that I put into it: a couple of seconds 35 years ago!
                Oggy,

Yes, I can see where it is that you are coming from. And in relation to how this fits with the ordering of your vinyls, and the Beethoven/Karajan screenshots you kindly uploaded last week. I guess, once again, it's all about what works for the individual. I think I am a bit paranoid about making mistakes because, as you know, my first massive ripping job (a few years ago) ended in a sea of WMA files!

btw - Did you know that von Karajan was a Nazi? I was just reading it on Wiki. His membership-no. was in the 600,000s. Rumour has it he only joined to further his musical career!

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Hi Paul,

Having seen Dat Ei's post, I have been educated, and understand that van Beethoven and von Karajan are the surnames, but (incorrectly!) I will stick to what I learnt as a small child, Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony; so Beethoven (and Karajan).

I can understand you not wanting to make mistakes, and van Beethoven / Beethoven, von Karajan / Karajan is something you've got to decide on. At least we have ID Tag Editor!!

Many years ago I read somewhere about Karajan's history, but haven't read Wiki.

Have you heard any Furtwängler conducting Beethoven? Some very exciting performances!
                  Last edited by Oggy; 03-29-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Having seen Dat Ei's post, I have been educated, and understand that van Beethoven and von Karajan are the surnames, but (incorrectly!) I will stick to what I learnt as a small child, Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony; so Beethoven (and Karajan).

I can understand you not wanting to make mistakes, and van Beethoven / Beethoven, von Karajan / Karajan is something you've got to decide on. At least we have ID Tag Editor!!

Many years ago I read somewhere about Karajan's history, but haven't read Wiki.

Have you heard any Furtwängler conducting Beethoven? Some very exciting performances!
                    Cheers Oggy,

I am glad you found Dat Ei's post of which I was referring to. Thanks for checking.

In this respect it's, as I said earlier, something I am going to put down as each to his own. Yes, thanks to ID Tag Editor!

I don't really think Karajan needed much assistance (RE: Nazi) in getting recognised because of the immensity of his talent. Karajan, I am 99% sure, is the only Conductor of the Beethoven works which I own (I am talking symphs here).

Paul
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-29-2018, 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

The question was not aimed at trying to cause any confusion; and I was not aware that I had failed to clarify any information. On the previous page, this thread discusses the options/reasons for arranging/appending the names of Dutch/German artists. My question is in direct relation to those considerations (ie. whether users favour the two options - as per your [above] example 1 or 2).
                      However, I was and I am still confused as your post referred to Sort, but you did NOT mention how you wanted to sort Annelie De Man e.g. under A, D or M. It is this information that determines how you populate the Sort tag. That is what the sort tags are for, sorting.
                      Last edited by mville; 03-29-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

However, I was and I am still confused as your post referred to Sort, but you did NOT mention how you wanted to sort Annelie De Man e.g. under A, D or M. It is this information that determines how you populate the Sort tag. That is what the sort tags are for, sorting.
                        I think we are going to be at loggerheads over this, and so it's probably best to just leave it. Cheers.

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

I think we are going to be at loggerheads over this, and so it's probably best to just leave it. Cheers.
                          Why are we at loggerheads? There is nothing to dispute regarding sort tags and how they work.

All I was simply saying was you omitted vital information that is required to answer your post. But, if that is your attitude when you are offered help, I will leave it.
                          Last edited by mville; 03-29-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Why are we at loggerheads? There is nothing to dispute regarding sort tags and how they work.

All I was simply saying was you omitted vital information that is required to answer your post. But, if that is your attitude when you are offered help, I will leave it.
                            You (in my opinion) criticised the lack of information (although I did not feel the need to re-explain what has been discussed in depth in the previous couple of pages) in my earlier post rather harshly. I am not hear to argue and I have tried to be nothing but polite and courteous to all those who have offered their assistance. By suggesting that we drop the recent dialogue was purely a means of avoiding any potential bickering. I am hear to try and learn, not to fall out with people.

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

You (in my opinion) criticised the lack of information (although I did not feel the need to re-explain what has been discussed in depth in the previous couple of pages) in my earlier post rather harshly. I am not hear to argue and I have tried to be nothing but polite and courteous to all those who have offered their assistance. By suggesting that we drop the recent dialogue was purely a means of avoiding any potential bickering. I am hear to try and learn, not to fall out with people.
                              I am sorry you feel like that, and I would appreciate it if you could point out the criticism in my post.

I don't see any criticism, only my confusion about how to answer your post, without you providing the necessary info, that is all, no arguments, no bickering, no falling out etc.

Comment

• Oggy
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2015

Oggy,

Did you manage, as yet, to have a quick look at my question of post 449, please? It would be great to hear your thoughts, should you be kind enough to assist.

Paul
                                Hi Paul,

I have had a look at your post, and I'm not sure what you want my thoughts on - all the semi-colons?

I do personally prefer the colon, and actually use them a lot, so far without drama, but I couldn't guarantee that I will not have problems with different players and software in the future.

It would be good to know which players have problems with the restricted characters.

There are obviously other characters you could use, but I'm not sure I fully understand your concern.

Comment

Working...

]]>