title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Originally posted by Jailhouse
    There is nothing wrong with using "von Karajan" if you think of his last name that way. It comes down to where you want to find him--in the "K"s or the "V"s?
    JH,

I want to keep all names containing the likes of 'von' in a consistent format (rather that append to the christian-name for some artists, and append to the surname for others). And ditto for 'middle' names. So:
    Ludwig van Beethoven

Beethoven, Ludwig van

Herbert von Karajan

Karajan, Herbert von

Johann Sebastian Bach

Bach, Johann Sebastian

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-07-2018, 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Dat Ei
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2014

"von", "zu", "von und zu", "vom", "zum", "vom und zum", "von der", "von dem", "auf der", "aus der", "de", "di", "del", "da", "degli" und "dalla" are titles and part of the last name, not of the christian name.

Dat Ei

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Dat Ei
        "von", "zu", "von und zu", "vom", "zum", "vom und zum", "von der", "von dem", "auf der", "aus der", "de", "di", "del", "da", "degli" und "dalla" are titles and part of the last name, not of the christian name.
        Dat Ei,

That's fair enough and I am sure you are correct. However, I would still rather not be searching for the likes of Beethoven under 'v'.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Hi,

I was looking at my Keith Jarrett CLASSICAL solo-piano recording of "24 Preludes and Fugues" (Shostakovich):

As with all rips of my other GENRES, I intend to include the STYLE tag. I was considering which STYLE would be most suited for this particular album. For GENRE, I have chosen (obviously!) 'CLASSICAL'. But for STYLE I am planning to use 'POSTMODERNISM'. However, I always thought that the latter was two words (joined with a hyphen). It kinda looks a little strange to me without, how I imagined it, a hyphen! I don't think I have seen it before all as one word?

Thanks a lot,

Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-07-2018, 04:27 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Jailhouse
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2016

Both spellings are correct according to Britannica.com.

My unabridged dictionary doesn't indicate the hyphenated version, and I don't recall ever seeing it. Perhaps that's more a British spelling?

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Both spellings are correct according to Britannica.com.

My unabridged dictionary doesn't indicate the hyphenated version, and I don't recall ever seeing it. Perhaps that's more a British spelling?
              Thanks JH,

I followed the link.

Maybe in Science and Literature it is hyphenated, but in Music and Arts it is not?

Cheers.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
                Maybe in Science and Literature it is hyphenated, but in Music and Arts it is not?
                Having not seen it before, I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that if you want it hyphenated, hyphenate away!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Having not seen it before, I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that if you want it hyphenated, hyphenate away!
                  OK, Cheers JH.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Hi,

I have recently ripped the two Keith Jarrett CDs:

The former has OPUS NO. 87, and the latter BMV 846-893. Should I include these, please?

For Shostakovich I have it in parenthesis after both the ALBUM NAME and each TRACK. It remains as OPUS NO. 87 throughout all instances. But I am not sure if this would be correct (in terms of overkill)? Here it is displayed in Foobar:

For Bach, each individual TRACK (or rather, piece) has a different reference (in this case, BMV). And so I assume the choices would be to either tag each TRACK with its own BMV NO., or to tag the ALBUM NAME as (say):
                    'The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1 (BWV 846-893)'

For Bach, the BMV represents:

Whichever the case may be, I would like to try and maintain consistency, in this respect, throughout all of my future CLASSICAL rips.

Many thanks,

Paul
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-08-2018, 02:19 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Jailhouse
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2016

If it were my choice, I would remove "Opus No. 87" from the track tags as redundant, given that it's part of the album name tag.

For the Bach disc, appending "BMV 846-893" to the album title and the individual BMV numbers to the track titles looks like a good method. Not that I'll necessarily do that myself, mind you, but I'll keep it in mind as I can see how it could be useful.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

If it were my choice, I would remove "Opus No. 87" from the track tags as redundant, given that it's part of the album name tag.

For the Bach disc, appending "BMV 846-893" to the album title and the individual BMV numbers to the track titles looks like a good method. Not that I'll necessarily do that myself, mind you, but I'll keep it in mind as I can see how it could be useful.
                        Thanks very much JH,

I am totally new to ripping CLASSICAL; hence the perdantic-ness!

I will have a think about your kind advice.

Thinking ahead though, what about when ripping (say) Beethoven symphonies? Would you tag the same as Shostakovich (above) and place the OPUS NO. in the ALBUM NAME only, please?:

(scroll down to: 1.1.1)

I think, with symphonies, that the Opus No. is the SAME for all 4 x Movements?

Cheers,

Paul
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-08-2018, 05:27 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Oggy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Hi Paul,

The first Classical CDs that I ripped, were the ones from the previously mentioned Beethoven / Karajan symphonies. As you may recall I added the opus number in the Album names, though I probably regard it as not necessary for my needs, and moving forwards I may remove them. One aim was to keep the track name short and simple, another was to try and be consistent.

I'm still totally open to other suggestions: there are so many options and choices with Classical naming.

Edit. One of the reasons I posted the screenshot of the Beethoven symphonies the other day, was that it shows the album names I chose at the time, which includes the key, opus number and name when applicable. Together with the Italian musical terms in the track title, I thought lower case looked better than the capitalise first letters I use in popular music. First movement I simplified to i

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171229-123905.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	293860
                          Last edited by Oggy; 03-08-2018, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy

The first Classical CDs that I ripped, were the ones from the previously mentioned Beethoven / Karajan symphonies. As you may recall I added the opus number in the Album names, though I probably regard it as not necessary for my needs, and moving forwards I may remove them. One aim was to keep the track name short and simple, another was to try and be consistent.
                            Hi Oggy,

OK, I see. Well I am in the same boat as yourself now as I have changed the TRACKS to NOT include the opus-no; so it is only stated in the ALBUM NAME. I agree, it's neater to keep your track-names short - where possible - in this regard.

And so I will see how far I get honouring the format I have decided upon. Like you, I probably don't even need the opus-numbers! But they are stated in the CD liner-notes, and I also have the hard-copy musical-scores to many of these Classical symphonies (which have the opus-numbers printed on the front page).

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                              Edit. One of the reasons I posted the screenshot of the Beethoven symphonies the other day, was that it shows the album names I chose at the time, which includes the key, opus number and name when applicable. Together with the Italian musical terms in the track title, I thought lower case looked better than the capitalise first letters I use in popular music. First movement I simplified to i

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2043[/ATTACH]
                              Oggy,

Thanks for the follow up screenshot. That's really helpful.

I see you have taken the time and energy to intricately tag your CLASSICAL Genre as regards to the Italian Terms and roman numerals. I might try and follow suit with you here. It's a bit of extra donkey work but the end result does look quite sophisticated.

Paul

Comment

• Dat Ei
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Feb 2014

Roman numbers with characters in lower case? Not so sophisticated...

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>