title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Thanks for your unparalleled optimism Oggy,

My tipple is of the 'herbal' variety!

I'll be damned if I can locate the 'OK' button you kindly refer to? I see the one at the foot of the page (for 'applying' the changes within 'dBpa'), but nothing for RE-WRITING over the pre-ripped version (in 'My Music' folder)?

(Please see screenshot).

Perhaps my only option is to re-rip again? - which isn't the end of the world I suppose.

Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1398[/ATTACH]

To edit tags tags on already ripped CDs use dbpa converter and "convert to" ID TAG UPDATE utility DSP. Or right click on album and use the edit ID tags option. I forget the exact name. Never any need to rerip if just editing tags.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
      Those are more useful for tagging Classical, but some may or may not be useful, for naming additional musicians etc.

In my example, The Beatles [Remaster] you could equally name it:

The Beatles (White Album), 2009 Stereo Remaster, Disc One

or any variation on a name you choose. This is purely personal choice of how you see a album name, I simplify it, but without changing the actual album name. Others may well see things differently, but as as you can find and play the album, it really is personal preference.

With a little thought (I'm mostly copying how I display LPs, John Lennon next to Julian Lennon, in "Ls") and planning, hopefully we can all achieve the library we want.
      Oggy,

My CD collection is mainly (in order of bulk): Jazz, Classical, Pop (eg. Beatles/Madonna/Jackson), and some other bits and bobs. I did mean to make a stock-count last week. I think I have over the original 300 CDs (of last count). Nowhere near the 2K - as someone mentioned earlier here!

I would have chosen (and this is of course with no criticism aimed): "The Beatles (White Album), Disc One."

One thing I really WOULD like though is he name of the: 'Producer' and 'Label' (eg. 'George Martin', 'EMI'). Does this have to be done track-by-track, or can it be applied globally, would you know, please?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
        Keep in mind I have almost no classical. If I did, I'd likely be using composer in my naming.
        Garym,

A quote of 'dBpa' on Classical/Opera configuring:

When the genre is set to Classical or Opera a section with Work and Movement appears on the tool bar, tracks can be selected together to enter a value for those selected tracks (such as Work).
        So for a symphony, you would have: Movement 1, Movement 2, Movement 3, and Movement 4 - each as a separate track.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

To edit tags tags on already ripped CDs use dbpa converter and "convert to" ID TAG UPDATE utility DSP. Or right click on album and use the edit ID tags option. I forget the exact name. Never any need to rerip if just editing tags.
          Garym,

Thanks for your response.

I searched hi and lo in 'dBpa' CD Ripper but just could not locate the "ID TAG UPDATE", I am afraid. I must be damn blind or something?

Or do you mean, please, it is within the 'Music Converter' s/w section? (as per screenshot):

Click image for larger version

Name:	convert.png
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	293387

When I right-click on the album, all it does is enlarge the artwork/image?

Many thanks,

Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2017, 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Garym,

Thanks for your response.

I searched hi and lo in 'dBpa' CD Ripper but just could not locate the "ID TAG UPDATE", I am afraid. I must be damn blind or something?

Or do you mean, please, it is within the 'Music Converter' s/w section? (as per screenshot):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1399[/ATTACH]

When I right-click on the album, all it does is enlarge the artwork/image?

Many thanks,

Paul
            Right click on album from within windows file explorer, not dbpa. Anyhow, Im doing from memory. I'm away from my computer for about 10 days traveling.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Right click on album from within windows file explorer, not dbpa. Anyhow, Im doing from memory. I'm away from my computer for about 10 days traveling.
              Hi Garym,

I got closer results using that method, thanks.

There is also an 'OK' button at the bottom.

I will have to have a mess around with it though to try and get it goin' ...

Cheers.

Name:	edit_1.png
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	293388

Name:	edit_2.png
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	293389

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Hi again,

Do I need to tamper with any of these four highlighted options, please? (see screenshot).

Many thanks,

Paul

Name:	Options.png
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	293390
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2017, 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Hi again,

Do I need to tamper with any of these four highlighted options, please? (see screenshot).

Many thanks,

Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1402[/ATTACH]
                  No.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Hi Oggy,

Seems the Sony Walkman will only display 1 x Composer - despite there being two manually listed within my tagging, and separated by a semicolon?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

Seems the Sony Walkman will only display 1 x Composer - despite there being two manually listed within my tagging, and separated by a semicolon?
                      You will need to contact Sony and enquire if their device supports multi-value tags. If not, you will have to convert your multi-value tags to single value tags.

I assume your composer tags are multi-value tags i.e. they contains multiple values? If so, this is normal e.g.:
                      composer = John Lennon; Paul McCartney

Important points to remember:
                      1. Different softwares use different multi-value tag separators.
                      2. Differentt softwares can use different separators depending on the file format/tag specification used.
                      3. Not all tags are multi-value tags.
                      4. Illustrate uses the semi-colon as the multi-value tag separator.

So, using dBpoweramp, if you change you multi-value tag to a single tag using the forward slash "/" instead of the semi-colon ";", your Sony device may well show the composer as desired i.e. change:
                      composer = John Lennon; Paul McCartney to John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Try it and see.

Finally, this gets even more complicated if you want to include sort tags in your tagging system. e.g.:
                      composer = John Lennon; Paul McCartney
                      composersort = Lennon, John; McCartney, Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Thanks mville for taking the time and trouble to assist here,

I will test out your idea tomorrow.

I am not concerned about 'sort' tag for Composer.

Much appreciated.

Comment

• Oggy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Oggy,

My CD collection is mainly (in order of bulk): Jazz, Classical, Pop (eg. Beatles/Madonna/Jackson), and some other bits and bobs. I did mean to make a stock-count last week. I think I have over the original 300 CDs (of last count). Nowhere near the 2K - as someone mentioned earlier here!

I would have chosen (and this is of course with no criticism aimed): "The Beatles (White Album), Disc One."

One thing I really WOULD like though is he name of the: 'Producer' and 'Label' (eg. 'George Martin', 'EMI'). Does this have to be done track-by-track, or can it be applied globally, would you know, please?

Cheers,

Paul
                          Hi Paul,

You can name your CDs anyway you like, that's the point of a personal library, and flexible software.

Whilst playing a file, what tags are available for display?

You could add these tags to every Beatles album you want (obviously not Let It Be), very easily, but these may or may not be viewable on the Sony, depending how you tag them and how the Sony displays.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                            Whilst playing a file, what tags are available for display?

You could add these tags to every Beatles album you want (obviously not Let It Be), very easily, but these may or may not be viewable on the Sony, depending how you tag them and how the Sony displays.
                            Cheers Oggy,

Reading directly from the Walkman display, the following information is offered:
                            Title (eg. 'Yesterday')

Artist (eg. 'The Beatles')

Album Artist (eg. 'The Beatles')

Album (eg. 'Beatles Classics')

Genre ('Pop')

Release Year ('1967')

Composer ('McCartney')

Length (ie. duration)

Tone Analysis (ie. mood)

Storage Location (ie. system storage)

File Name (eg. '01 McCartney - Yesterday.flac')

Codec (eg. FLAC)

Bit Depth (eg. 16 bit)

Bit Rate (eg. 828 kbps VBR)

Sample Rate (eg. 44.1)

Lyrics Data (N/A)

Thanks a lot,

Paul
                            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-31-2017, 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
                              So, using dBpoweramp, if you change you multi-value tag to a single tag using the forward slash "/" instead of the semi-colon ";", your Sony device may well show the composer as desired i.e. change:
                              composer = John Lennon; Paul McCartney to John Lennon/Paul McCartney
                              Sorted man!

Works a treat.

I have included screenshots of 'dBpa' and 'file properties' tags.

But I can't get: 'Comments', 'Composer, or 'Producer' to show. Maybe the Sony just won't display these, period?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

Name:	Tag.png
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	293391

Name:	Tag2.png
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	293392

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Hello again,

There is a s/w program for the Sony 'NW-A35' called 'Media Go? It is dedicated to all Sony digital products and serves as a media organizing/manipulating tool:

Again, I tried adding a 'Producer' and 'Label' tag here, but this is still not at all reflected on the Walkman display (please see screenshot of 'Media Go').

Name:	Tag.png
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	293393

To be honest, I would much prefer not to have to involve a middle-man s/w to fulfill the task. I don't want to risk such a 3rd-Party program undoing/jeopardizing any of the good work for which 'dBpa' has done.

Many thanks,

Paul
                                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-31-2017, 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...

]]>