title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jailhouse
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2016

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Hi Gary, I just made a rough count of my hard-copy collection. It DID only take only two minutes! I have circa: 500 titles. And so you are confident that I will have more than enough GB space so as to store the entire CD collection (as FLAC) on my 1TB home PC, please? Paul
    I have nearly 1,300 CD titles and roughly 300 digital files bought online, and the folder which holds my library has 412GB of audio and art image files in it. I don't think you need to sweat storage space for a good while.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
      I haven't tried the setting, but I think it would work.

However, I'm with Gary when it comes to the art filenames; don't bother the dogs. Use the same name for every file.
      Yes, JH. I am going to stick with FOLDER from now on. Cheers.

Comment

• Oggy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2015

No, I manually type in the artist/title info as I rip the CDs. I will try the Audio Info codec at some point, though.
        Hi Jailhouse,

Re: exporting Metadata to excel:-

Install the 'Audio Info' utility codec, open batch converter >> choose root folder >> click convert >> choose encoder as [Audio Info]. Choose the 'Tab separated table option' then click Convert.

Your whole library will have metadata exported into excel.

The above was Spoon's reply from another thread - looks like an elegant solution.
        Last edited by Oggy; 08-28-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

OK, thanks. If I get one I can try it out! Paul
          Are you thinking about an external USB drive, or full size, Internal drive, via powered, USB adaptor? The later is not so elegant, but would probably get you a better, DVD drive.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
            Are you thinking about an external USB drive, or full size, Internal drive, via powered, USB adaptor? The later is not so elegant, but would probably get you a better, DVD drive.
            Oggy, Probably an external-mains-powered drive. Paul.

Comment

• Jailhouse
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Oggy
              Hi Jailhouse,

Re: exporting Metadata to excel [...]
              Most appreciated, Oggy, but I'm a bit ahead of you; I saw the thread when it started and copied Spoon's post to my dBpa notes file after reading it.

My bare-bones list is all I need for now, but exporting all the metadata is on my to-do list.

Comment

• Oggy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2015

Most appreciated, Oggy, but I'm a bit ahead of you; I saw the thread when it started and copied Spoon's post to my dBpa notes file after reading it.

My bare-bones list is all I need for now, but exporting all the metadata is on my to-do list.
                And that's what I call planning!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Hi,

Does anyone run their dBpa and/or PerfectTUNES in: "As Administrator" mode, please? And if so, what would be the advantage? I install all of my s/w "As Administrator". But as for ripping CDs in this mode, I am not aware it would enhance the process, or otherwise?

Many thanks.
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-02-2017, 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Hi,

Does anyone run their dBpa and/or PerfectTUNES in: "As Administrator" mode, please? And if so, what would be the advantage? I install all of my s/w "As Administrator". But as for ripping CDs in this mode, I am not aware it would enhance the process, or otherwise?

Many thanks.
                    Some programs require this on some operating systems or versions in order to run. I don't recall having to do that with dbpa or PT. It doesn't make the program run any better, it just allows it to run. So if the programs are working for you (and they are), then you don't need "as administrator".

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                      Some programs require this on some operating systems or versions in order to run. I don't recall having to do that with dbpa or PT. It doesn't make the program run any better, it just allows it to run. So if the programs are working for you (and they are), then you don't need "as administrator".
                      Hi Gary,

I have music programs: 'Sibelius' and 'Cubase' and these are always run in "Admin." mode.

In just double-clicking to open dBpa and PerfectTUNE regularly, I have experienced no issues to date.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Hi,

I am quite stuck on what to to in a situation of what to place for ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST as regards to a tribute album, please?

The album is a Miles Davis tribute (a couple of years after he died) as so obviously he doesn't appear on it!

Only two of the songs are written by Miles Davis; but the remainder are all closely associated with him.

I did look back in this thread and saw this topic being mentioned. But what has thrown me is that appearing (by default) in the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST fields are the full names of ALL FIVE members of the Quintet (of course, that would be too long in terms of 'tagging' real-estate!). And in Wikipedia/liner-notes it implies that the CD was Herbie Hancock's project (which it most probably was).

I think I would prefer it to be placed within the Miles Davis (Artist) folder.

Thanks,

Paul

EDIT - Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Hanco...elease/3327819
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-03-2017, 02:37 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Hi,

I am quite stuck on what to to in a situation of what to place for ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST as regards to a tribute album, please?
                          The album is a Miles Davis tribute (a couple of years after he died) as so obviously he doesn't appear on it!

Only two of the songs are written by Miles Davis; but the remainder are all closely associated with him.

I did look back in this thread and saw this topic being mentioned. But what has thrown me is that appearing (by default) in the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST fields are the full names of ALL FIVE members of the Quintet (of course, that would be too long in terms of 'tagging' real-estate!). And in Wikipedia/liner-notes it implies that the CD was Herbie Hancock's project (which it most probably was).

Thanks,

Paul

EDIT - Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Hanco...elease/3327819
                          What appears by default is just a suggestion. One can certainly manually change this before ripping. And I would do that in this case.

For tribute albums I always use the person the tribute is to as the ALBUM ARTIST (e.g., Miles Davis). This way the album shows up in my library if I'm browsing for works related to that artist (even though that artist is not actually on the CD). For ARTIST on such an album, I would use the actual artist related to each track (which could be different if this is a compilation, that is different artists across tracks). But if it is not a compilation (same ARTIST on every track), then the ARTIST would be same for all tracks. Whether you want to have such a long name for ARTIST is only for you to decide. Since it is FLAC and this handles multi-tags for ARTIST, for me I'd do the following:

ALBUM ARTIST: Miles Davis
                          ARTIST: Herbie Hancock;Wayne Shorter;Ron Carter;Wallace Roney;Tony Williams

Then this album would show up for me under Miles Davis, and also when I browse my library for any of these artists (e.g., the album would show up when I browse to Herbie Hancock and would also show up whin I browse to Ron Carter)
                          Last edited by garym; 09-03-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                            For tribute albums I always use the person the tribute is to as the ALBUM ARTIST (e.g., Miles Davis). This way the album shows up in my library if I'm browsing for works related to that artist (even though that artist is not actually on the CD). For ARTIST on such an album, I would use the actual artist related to each track (which could be different if this is a compilation, that is different artists across tracks). But if it is not a compilation (same ARTIST on every track), then the ARTIST would be same for all tracks. Whether you want to have such a long name for ARTIST is only for you to decide. Since it is FLAC and this handles multi-tags for ARTIST, for me I'd do the following:

ALBUM ARTIST: Miles Davis
                            ARTIST: Herbie Hancock;Wayne Shorter;Ron Carter;Wallace Roney;Tony Williams

Then this album would show up for me under Miles Davis, and also when I browse my library for any of these artists (e.g., the album would show up when I browse to Herbie Hancock and would also show up whin I browse to Ron Carter)
                            Cheers Gary.

Thats great. I was gettin' in a right tiswas over it!

My Sony Walkman prefers '/' to ';' - but I don't think foobar cares either way.

For ALBUM ARTIST SORT, do you just leave it as:
                            Ron Carter / Herbie Hancock / Wallace Roney / Wayne Shorter / Tony Williams

Many thanks,

Paul
                            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-03-2017, 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Hi,

I don't actually have many 'Tribute' CDs. Maybe 10 at the most. But I knew at some point I would have to learn the procedure; and so it might as well be now!

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Hi,

But I would only use this legend in the instance of a 'Tribute' CD. I mean, I would not want the full ensemble member's names for regular CDs also?!

For instance, on a regular Miles Davis CD I (typically) write:
                                ARTIST: 'Miles Davis Quartet'

ALBUM ARTIST: Miles Davis'

Cheers.
                                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-03-2017, 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...

]]>