title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by Dat Ei
    0.946 and 0.960 should be frame 71 and 72.
    Thanks. So, are you reading 00:03:06.946 as hh:mm:ss.msec?

Comment

• Dat Ei
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by mville
      So, are you reading 00:03:06.946 as hh:mm:ss.msec?
      Yes, this is the way I did. 0.946 is aside of the rounding error 71 x 1/75, and 0.960 is exactly 72 x 1/75.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Oggy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2015

Hi Paul,

I was wondering, if you had any Blue Note, European, re-issue CDs, from the early 2000's? A number of these were Copy Controlled, not true Red Book CDs, and have caused problems, for some CD drives, when ripping. I believe that they have the, Copy Control, logo, on the sleeve.

If you have, and haven't tried to rip one yet, it may be worth, ripping one, to see how your CD drive, handles them. Hopefully you won't have a problem, but.....

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
          I was wondering, if you had any Blue Note, European, re-issue CDs, from the early 2000's? A number of these were Copy Controlled, not true Red Book CDs, and have caused problems, for some CD drives, when ripping. I believe that they have the, Copy Control, logo, on the sleeve.

If you have, and haven't tried to rip one yet, it may be worth, ripping one, to see how your CD drive, handles them. Hopefully you won't have a problem, but.....
          Oggy,

Took a well earned days break from ripping today!

I do have SOME 'Blue Notes', but I would need to check. I know that I have a ton of Wayne Shorter for sure. How they respond with respect to you ripping question, I do not know? I am still only 10% of my way through Miles Davis as yet! But I can try one and see over the weekend...

I have some ART problems still and so I would also like to post those over the weekend.

Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-18-2017, 11:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
            Oggy,

Took a well earned days break from ripping today!

I do have SOME 'Blue Notes', but I would need to check. I know that I have a ton of Wayne Shorter for sure. How they respond with respect to you ripping question, I do not know? I am still only 10% of my way through Miles Davis as yet! But I can try one and see over the weekend...

I have some ART problems still and so I would also like to post those over the weekend.

Paul
            Hi,

Thought you may have, because of your preferred, genre. If a rip gets to the end of the first track, and a ridiculous number of frames needs re-ripping, cancel the rip.

My laptop CD drive, doesn't cope with Copy Control, CDs, but a couple of my old ones, do.

Any news from Sony?

Oggy

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Thought you may have, because of your preferred, genre. If a rip gets to the end of the first track, and a ridiculous number of frames needs re-ripping, cancel the rip.

My laptop CD drive, doesn't cope with Copy Control, CDs, but a couple of my old ones, do.

Any news from Sony?
              Evening Oggy,

Thanks for letting me know. I will try a couple of Blue Notes tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Funny you should mention the Sony Walkman. They emailed saying they have repaired it now so I will receive it next week.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Hi Oggy,

I tried ripping two Blue Note Wayne Shorter CDs this morning, It worked fine, thanks. I dug quite deep to locate the exact releases I was ripping and they are from: 1987 - Hollywood Records (Capital).

EU version (Holland):

View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 1987 CD release of "Night Dreamer" on Discogs.

Cheers,

Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-19-2017, 01:48 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Hi Oggy,

I tried ripping two Blue Note Wayne Shorter CDs this morning, It worked fine, thanks. I dug quite deep to locate the exact releases I was ripping and they are from: 1987 - Hollywood Records (Capital).

EU version (Holland):

View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 1987 CD release of "Night Dreamer" on Discogs.

Cheers,

Paul
                  Hi Paul,

Yes, the Copy Control discs, are from around 2000 - 2006, and are mostly European pressings, Hopefully you don't have any!

Great news about your Sony. Will be interesting, if it was broken, they have simply used, non-European, software, or maybe, both. Hopefully, this one, goes to eleven!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Any news from Sony?
                    UPDATE:

The Sony has arrived by courier. I thought Monday at the earliest.

The engineers note says that a "mechanical realignment" has been applied (whatever that is?), and that the service required a "non-inventory part".

So I plugged it in and unless the volume is over '100', it is still not loud enough? Does not seem to be the slightest bit changed to how it was before I sent it off?
                    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-19-2017, 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

UPDATE:

The engineers note says that a "mechanical realignment" has been applied (whatever that is?), and that the service required a "non-inventory part".

So I plugged it in and unless the volume is over '100', it is still not loud enough? Does not seem to be the slightest bit changed to how it was before I sent it off?
                      Unfortunately, this outcome doesn't surprise me. I'm only shocked they say they worked on it. Almost all consumer hardware is usually a simple replacement vs bothering with a repair. Time to look for a different portable player...and buy it from the US?

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

... this is supposed to offer a cure (of sorts) but to me the process looks very convoluted. I don't understand most of it:

Probably best to speak to Sony again on Monday.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                          I'm only shocked they say they worked on it. Almost all consumer hardware is usually a simple replacement vs bothering with a repair.
                          Gary, they stuck a giant horrible yellow engineers sticker on the back of the device which has left it all tacky! The rep. I initially spoke with advised me to post on the Sony forum. It is the worst and less frequented site I have ever experienced! Paul

NB. When I sent it off last week I left 10 or so Miles Davis FLACs on the device. They are still on the device! I would have thought that any intricate modifications would have resulted in these files being erased?
                          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-19-2017, 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2015

UPDATE:

Sorry to hear that, it really wouldn't have been difficult for them to "unlock" it. What a crazy, and unfortunately, frustrating, position. Companies then complain about, business being tough!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Sorry to hear that, it really wouldn't have been difficult for them to "unlock" it. What a crazy, and unfortunately, frustrating, position. Companies then complain about, business being tough!
                              Thanks Oggy, I will call them on Monday and see what poxy excuse they come up with! Cheers.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                                never noticed it. won't be trying to fix (not sure even possible). Not sure it's even an error (that is, how would foobar know which of the many artworks you want to show when you click on the album name, yet multiple artworks are associated with that single album name?) I'd say the way foobar handles it is actually the best approach...that is waiting until you click on a track so it can apply the artwork associated with that disc/track.
                                Hi Gary, I just dragged my ripped double-CDs (with two pieces of artwork on) onto my recently returned Sony Walkman. As was hoped, they both display correctly as and when. I can live with Foobar not showing the artwork of a double-CD until you start playing (or click on) the first track. You can't have EVERYTHING in life! Paul.

Comment

Working...

]]>