title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Hi,

Regarding ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST, please, I am thinkin' of modifying what I have been doing originally! I read some pages back about how (I think it was Oggy?) someone made a distinction between different sized ensembles of the same bandleader.

So, I have written (for ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST): 'Miles Davis' in both fields. But now, in hindsight, I wish I had included then size of the ensemble:

eg. 'Miles Davis Sextet', 'Miles Davis Quintet', etc.

But which field would this information go in, please? ARTIST or ALBUM ARTIST

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      Cheers Gary, I did actually notice some slight blemishing on the CD when I looked closer. I only have 1 PC so no options for another drive, I am afraid. Paul
      You can always add another drive to your existing PC. I use a second full size drive in a USB housing that I simply connect to my PC via USB cable.

Note that you will not necessarily see anything wrong with a CD. I've had brand new, out of the package, never played CDs that had ripping problems. Probably a minor manufacturing defect. Also keep in mind that I've had some rips where a track never got a secure rip, but yet a close listen seemed that it played OK. Keep in mind that what makes it insecure might only be a few frames, which could be .00001 of a second in time (just making that up, but think "tiny, tiny amount of time").

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Hi,

Regarding ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST, please, I am thinkin' of modifying what I have been doing originally! I read some pages back about how (I think it was Oggy?) someone made a distinction between different sized ensembles of the same bandleader.

So, I have written (for ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST): 'Miles Davis' in both fields. But now, in hindsight, I wish I had included then size of the ensemble:

eg. 'Miles Davis Sextet', 'Miles Davis Quintet', etc.

But which field would this information go in, please? ARTIST or ALBUM ARTIST

Thanks,

Paul
        I put the actual artist name for the CD in the ARTIST name (e.g., Miles Davis Sextet) and then put Miles Davis in ALBUM ARTIST. For example, for Doug Sahm, I might have any of these CDs by him under these names:

Sir Douglas Quintet
        Doug Sahm & Band
        Sir Douglas Quintet Plus 5
        The Masked Men
        and on and on.

But for all these, I use "Doug Sahm" in the ALBUM ARTIST.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
          You can always add another drive to your existing PC. I use a second full size drive in a USB housing that I simply connect to my PC via USB cable.

Note that you will not necessarily see anything wrong with a CD. I've had brand new, out of the package, never played CDs that had ripping problems. Probably a minor manufacturing defect. Also keep in mind that I've had some rips where a track never got a secure rip, but yet a close listen seemed that it played OK. Keep in mind that what makes it insecure might only be a few frames, which could be .00001 of a second in time (just making that up, but think "tiny, tiny amount of time").
          Hi Gary, I was thinking of buying a second laptop (for for work, one for home) but I am still toying with the idea of the Amazon Fire HD8. But the latter does not have a CD drive.

All of my CDs are in good condition although quite a few of the cases are cracked, and I am noticing the booklets to start yellowing with age. Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

I put the actual artist name for the CD in the ARTIST name (e.g., Miles Davis Sextet) and then put Miles Davis in ALBUM ARTIST. For example, for Doug Sahm, I might have any of these CDs by him under these names:

Sir Douglas Quintet
            Doug Sahm & Band
            Sir Douglas Quintet Plus 5
            The Masked Men
            and on and on.

But for all these, I use "Doug Sahm" in the ALBUM ARTIST.
            Cheers Gary, That's a very good explanation. But in the case of 'The Beatles', would both the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST fields be: 'The Beatles'? I mean, there is no personal name; but rather an ensemble name. Paul

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Cheers Gary, That's a very good explanation. But in the case of 'The Beatles', would both the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST fields be: 'The Beatles'? I mean, there is no personal name; but rather an ensemble name. Paul
              Correct, for most artists I have, the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST would be the same (e.g., The Beatles for both). In my personal scheme I leave ALBUM ARTIST blank unless something like the Miles Davis or Doug Sahm examples, or if it is, for example, a tribute album to an artist (and I make the ALBUM ARTIST whoever the tribute is to). This said, many people fill ALBUM ARTIST always.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

... also, please, if 'Miles Davis Sextet' is the ARTIST, then how do I configure ARTIST SORT? Typically, if just a christian and surname then one would write: 'Smith, John'. But 'Miles Davis Sextet' has three components?! Paul

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Hi Gary, I was thinking of buying a second laptop (for for work, one for home) but I am still toying with the idea of the Amazon Fire HD8. But the latter does not have a CD drive.

All of my CDs are in good condition although quite a few of the cases are cracked, and I am noticing the booklets to start yellowing with age. Paul
                  My laptops no longer have CD drives either. I use USB 3.0 connected drives, such as:

Enclosure:

Drive:

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Correct, for most artists I have, the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST would be the same (e.g., The Beatles for both). In my personal scheme I leave ALBUM ARTIST blank unless something like the Miles Davis or Doug Sahm examples, or if it is, for example, a tribute album to an artist (and I make the ALBUM ARTIST whoever the tribute is to). This said, many people fill ALBUM ARTIST always.
                    Gary, that's interesting about the 'Tribute' recordings. I had not thought about that. Paul

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

... also, please, if 'Miles Davis Sextet' is the ARTIST, then how do I configure ARTIST SORT? Typically, if just a christian and surname then one would write: 'Smith, John'. But 'Miles Davis Sextet' has three components?! Paul
                      I'd make ARTISTSORT = "Miles Davis Sextet" and ALBUMARTISTSORT = "Davis, Miles"

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Much cheaper that I would have thought!

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Gary, that's interesting about the 'Tribute' recordings. I had not thought about that. Paul
                          For example "The Pyramid Meets the Eye" is a tribute album to Roky Erickson. There are lots of different artists (but NOT Roky Erickson). But I put "Roky Erickson" as ALBUM ARTIST so when I browse artists in my library, this tribute album shows up with my actual Roky Erickson albums.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Much cheaper that I would have thought!
                            More expensive drives don't necessarily rip better. I've got a couple of 15 year old cheap drives I've saved and have installed in my work "desktop" computer. These are great for ripping!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

I'd make ARTISTSORT = "Miles Davis Sextet" and ALBUMARTISTSORT = "Davis, Miles"
                              OK, thanks. So no reordering of names for ARTIST_SORT then (ie. when: Sextet/Quartet etc). But, when both the ARTIST and ALBUM_ARTIST is: 'Miles Davis' (which will crop up on a few CDs), then should I use: "Davis, Miles" for both? Cheers.
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-17-2017, 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

OK, thanks. So no reordering of names for ARTIST_SORT then (ie. when: Sextet/Quartet etc). But, when both the ARTIST and ALBUM_ARTIST is: 'Miles Davis' (which will crop up on a few CDs), then should I use: "Davis, Miles" for both? Cheers.
                                You can do whatever you want of course. It's not a law of nature. But that's the only thing that makes any sense to me. Personally, I don't use SORT tags at all.

Comment

Working...

]]>