title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by Jailhouse
    Sorting under "J" is incorrect, as "Jo" is not part of Spears' surname. This artist should be in either the B section or the S section.
    Incorrect, according to who? Who states the artist should be in the B section or S section?

Although I would personally sort artist Billie Jo Spears under S and would advise this, users are able to put what they want in the artist sort tag, so I have to disagree. It is not question of right and wrong here, but of personal choice.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      Gary, So should I just leave it as it is? You are probably going to say it's all about "options!" I mean, if I did want to include them then do I just TICK the appropriate boxes in the "Meta Data ID Tag" window (as per screenshot 2 above)? And, assuming they will then automatically appear in the "Meta Data for all Tracks" window (as per screenshot 1 above), what data would you fill in, please? Just the Artists name for both fields?: "Davis, Miles". Thanks.
      Yes, tick those items in Meta Data ID Tag, but I suspect they rarely automatically populate when ripping. You need to manually enter the value you want in the sort tags.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Hi, Can I lose: 'Period' and 'Soloists', please? I guess they are mainly for Classical? I can certainly live without either of them:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tag_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	293466

Not sure what: ' Custom' is though?:

Name:	Tag_2.png
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	293467
        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2017, 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Hi, Can I lose: 'Period' and 'Soloists', please? I guess they are mainly for Classical? I can certainly live without either of them:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1507[/ATTACH]

Not sure what: ' Custom' is though?:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1508[/ATTACH]
          I don't use Period or Soloists. Then again, I have very little classical. Custom is a custom tag that you've created (I assume)....don't use that either.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
            There are some tags that have a corresponding sort tag, the most common being:
            Title and Title Sort
            Album and Album Sort
            Artist and Artist Sort
            Album Artist and Album Artist Sort
            Composer and Composer Sort
            Conductor and Conductor Sort
            Soloists and Soloists Sort

If you choose to populate the sort tags (and I do, except Title) then:
            If Artist = Miles Davis then Artist Sort = Davis, Miles
            If Album Artist = Miles Davis then Album Artist Sort = Davis, Miles
            Hi Mville, I will be using both 'Artist Sort' and 'Album Artist Sort', thanks:

Name:	Tag_3.png
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	293468

But do you use 'Album Sort', please? Is it for when you have titles like: 'The Best Of The Bee Gees' or 'The Complete Beatles Collection'; which are to be tagged as: 'Bee Gees, The Best Of' and 'Beatles Collection, The Complete'?

However, I am not sure if I would use the latter mentioned because I think I have enough data to try to remember each time I perform a rip!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
              I don't use Period or Soloists. Then again, I have very little classical. Custom is a custom tag that you've created (I assume)....don't use that either.
              Hi Gary, Well I created 'Producer', 'Recorded', and 'Label' - so I guess these fall under 'Custom'?:

Name:	Tag_5.png
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	293469

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Hi again,

Some other tag-boxes which are all checked:

Name:	Tag_6.png
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	293471

Is 'Length' the total-duration of he CD, please? I would have thought that an mp3-player would automatically read this from the disc? Or maybe this field is provided so as to enabling the user to run a search by album-length?:

Name:	Tag_7.png
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	293472

And hare are the remainder of tag-boxes which are all unchecked:

Name:	Tag_4.png
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	293470

Hopefully these are all correct.

Thanks!
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2017, 06:58 PM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Hi Mville, I will be using both 'Artist Sort' and 'Album Artist Sort', thanks:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1509[/ATTACH]

But do you use 'Album Sort', please? Is it for when you have titles like: 'The Best Of The Bee Gees' or 'The Complete Beatles Collection'; which are to be tagged as: 'Bee Gees, The Best Of' and 'Beatles Collection, The Complete'?

However, I am not sure if I would use the latter mentioned because I think I have enough data to try to remember each time I perform a rip!
                  I may be being radical here, but I name, The Best Of The Bee Gees, The Best Of The Bee Gees.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Hi again,

Hopefully these are all correct.

Thanks!
                    there is no correct or incorrect. It's whatever tags you want to use, in whatever way you want to use them. I can see you have the idea of how to select or deselect tag fields, so just use the ones you want that fit your needs.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Oggy
                      I may be being radical here, but I name, The Best Of The Bee Gees, The Best Of The Bee Gees.
                      I agree. At some point use of sort tags where not really needed becomes rather silly.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by mville
                        Incorrect, according to who? Who states the artist should be in the B section or S section?

Although I would personally sort artist Billie Jo Spears under S and would advise this, users are able to put what they want in the artist sort tag, so I have to disagree. It is not question of right and wrong here, but of personal choice.
                        It's wrong if one intends to sort either by first name or last name. (Of course, this assumes that in the example, "Jo" is a middle name or part of a full first name.)

If anybody actually wants to sort by middle name, I'm not going to argue.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Oggy
                          Totally agree with this.

One of the few exceptions I've seen in music libraries, is, Ralph Vaughan Williams.

There is no hyphen, but:

Sorting under surname, then, V = Vaughan Williams, Ralph

Sorting under Christian name, then, R = Ralph Vaughan Williams

I didn't use Artist Sort in the above, because some would use Composer, and Composer Sort.

Classical tagging, in the absence of accepted standards, is even more open to personal preferences.
                          I wouldn't consider that to be an exception, as "Vaughan Williams" is the composer's surname.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                            there is no correct or incorrect. It's whatever tags you want to use, in whatever way you want to use them. I can see you have the idea of how to select or deselect tag fields, so just use the ones you want that fit your needs.
                            Thanks Gary, I will stick with what I have got so far I think. Which is quite a few to be going on with!

But if you could confirm the definition/function of 'Length' (as per [above] screenshot 'Tag_7'), please, that would be great? Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                              I wouldn't consider that to be an exception, as "Vaughan Williams" is the composer's surname.
                              Am dreading the time I get around to ripping my 'Classicals'! Paul

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

Thanks Gary, I will stick with what I have got so far I think. Which is quite a few to be going on with!

But if you could confirm the definition/function of 'Length' (as per [above] screenshot 'Tag_7'), please, that would be great? Paul
                                Yes. Length tag is just storing that info. Can't hurt. I store it, but have never actually used it for anything. You are correct that most players will know that info from the actual track whether you store in tag or not.

Comment

Working...

]]>