title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by garym
    I'll typically use the actual info of the CD I'm ripping, but then add some of the other info to the COMMENT field. There's no right answer here....everyone does it differently.
    Gary - Well I was thinking of creating a 'LABEL' tag and (in the case of the LP and CD labels being different) stating (say):

'Columbia / Sony'

Meaning, it was originally on Columbia (in the 60s) but released - on CD - (in the 90s) on Sony.

This is because I think in terms of who the original Producer was and which label he was associated with. I could not care who Remastered it (but I don't mind knowing the new label name).

In the 'Comment' field, I reserve this for the 'Remaster Year (eg. 'Remastered - 2001'). Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017, 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

1. replaygain is a way for "replaygain aware" players (and there are many, including foobar2000) to automatically adjust the volume difference between tracks or albums. You may have noticed that some CDs are very loud and some are quiet. So if one is playing tracks from different albums on shuffle, you'd be changing the volume often. ReplayGain (RG) tries to mitigate this. Read about it here:
      http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=ReplayGain
      Gary - I just read the article, thanks. Initially, I assumed this was just 'Normalizing', but I can see that it is different in the way it analyzes, and in the algorithm it applies.

I am sure that Apple iPods use something like this this (I don't have Apple)? Like 'Track-Checker', or 'Sound-Leveler'?

I learned a new word in that article: 'Parlance'!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

a. on your dbpa ripper page, in the bottom center, click on the DSP tab. Then "add" a DSP and choose ReplayGain (note, do not choose ReplayGain (Apply)...that's something different).

b. click on the settings next to ReplayGain DSP, and I suggest adding Track and Album tags.

c. click on advanced and follow my picture. (-18, and don't tick the clipping option)
        Gary, Many thanks. I am fairly sure I have followed your kind directions:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RG1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	293458

Name:	RG2.png
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	293459

Name:	RG3.png
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	293460

Name:	RG4.png
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	293461

But, do I need to set this each and every time I perform a CD rip in 'dBpa', please? And also, will I now need to re-rip the CDs I have already done earlier this week (ie. without 'RG')?
        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017, 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1498[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1499[/ATTACH]

But, do I need to set this each and every time I perform a CD rip in 'dBpa', please? And also, will I now need to re-rip the CDs I have done already done earlier this week (ie. without 'RG')?
          Hi Paul,

No, you just add the DSP, and the ReplayGain tags are written automatically, to each, and every CD you rip.

Comment

• Oggy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2015

Hi - If an LP was released in the 1960s on (say) Columbia, and then the CD version of the same album was released in the 1990s on (say) Sony, then which LABEL do you use when 'tagging', please? Columbia or Sony?

And same question, please, for if a CD has been Remastered on a different label in (say) 2000's. Do you always stick with the original LP record company? Thanks.
            As garym said, this is purely personal preference. I only add to Comments, or very rarely, Album, to aid finding, a specific pressing, when I have more than one, but, I don't delete any CD information. The only tag I remove, is as you know, Rating.

Just like ReplayGain tags, not all players use them, but it does no harm them being there, and they are extremely useful, for those that do.
            Last edited by Oggy; 08-11-2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

for the CDs you've already ripped, you can use dbpa converter, and "convert to" the utility DSP "Replay Gain". This will add RG tags to your already ripped files.

Yes, apple has something similar, a tag called "soundcheck". Similar but not exactly the same as RG tags. And apple only does track level tags rather than album tags too.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Gary - Well I was thinking of creating a 'LABEL' tag and (in the case of the LP and CD labels being different) stating (say):

'Columbia / Sony'

Meaning, it was originally on Columbia (in the 60s) but released - on CD - (in the 90s) on Sony.

This is because I think in terms of who the original Producer was and which label he was associated with. I could not care who Remastered it (but I don't mind knowing the new label name).

In the 'Comment' field, I reserve this for the 'Remaster Year (eg. 'Remastered - 2001'). Thanks.
                LABEL is one of the standard tags. Just go into CD ripper options, Tags & Filenames, then "metadata and ID tag" and make sure you tick LABEL. It may not be auto filled from the online databases so you'll have to manually enter in many cases. I think you can setup the ripper, tag section so you can see this tag and manually fill it in.
                I

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1498[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1499[/ATTACH]

But, do I need to set this each and every time I perform a CD rip in 'dBpa', please? And also, will I now need to re-rip the CDs I have already done earlier this week (ie. without 'RG')?
                  yes, looks correct. as noted by others, this will be automatic (it is now part of your ripping profile). by the way, what is the purpose of the ID TAG PROCESSING DSP you seem to be also using.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                    Hi Paul,

No, you just add the DSP, and the ReplayGain tags are written automatically, to each, and every CD you rip.
                    OK, cheers Oggy. That's handy to know.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Just like ReplayGain tags, not all players use them, but it does no harm them being there, and they are extremely useful, for those that do.
                      Oggy, Well the only player I will be using on my PC from now on is Foobar. Cheers.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

LABEL is one of the standard tags. Just go into CD ripper options, Tags & Filenames, then "metadata and ID tag" and make sure you tick LABEL. It may not be auto filled from the online databases so you'll have to manually enter in many cases. I think you can setup the ripper, tag section so you can see this tag and manually fill it in.
                        Gary, Yes, the box it ticked, thanks. I have found that this is never filled in automatically. Cheers.
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017, 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Hi, Hopefully that's all the configuring I need do for now. And can maybe just concentrate on ripping my way through a ton of CDs. I don't think I really need to add much more info/tagging-wise to my rips. Cheers for all the kind assistance to date. Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2015

Oggy, Well the only player I will be using on my PC from now on is Foobar. Cheers.
                            Paul,

Have you found the addition of a Genre Folder, useful, or are you using the Genre search, in Foobar?

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Paul,

Have you found the addition of a Genre Folder, useful, or are you using the Genre search, in Foobar?
                              Oggy, 'dBpa' creates a Genre-Folder (eg. Jazz) on my external-HD. But to be honest, apart from d/l Garys files, I have not really gotten around to Foobar as yet.

I do have another questions actually which I will post below...

Comment

• Oggy
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2015

yes, looks correct. as noted by others, this will be automatic (it is now part of your ripping profile). by the way, what is the purpose of the ID TAG PROCESSING DSP you seem to be also using.
                                garym,

I believe that Paul was using the ID Tag Processing, DSP, to automate, Capitalize First Letter.

Comment

Working...

]]>