title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oggy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2015

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Oggy,

So you just see the 'Artist' folder as a means-to-an-end? It is what it is and you leave it be.

I was thinking of customizing the 'Master Folder' icon for each Artist, but I am not sure if it's possible, or even worthwhile. Had you have had suc a method, and applied it yourself, they I would have followed suit.

Paul
    It's all done, to allow me to display, easily find, and play music. The rest is simply the mechanics, to achieve this.
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-09-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
      Within a couple of weeks, you have pretty much got dBpoweramp set up, to give you a music library, that will have minimal errors, look consistent, with good art, on most apps, and be searchable, by all the main options.

You could also probably rip your next 10 CDs, in three hours, right first time, with the tags that are important to you. Because you have a good naming scheme, and understand the tags, you could probably rip a 10 CD compilation, and get it right, first time. You are all set, to rip through your CDs.

You may use your music library for years to come, so two weeks time investment, to get it right first time, is time well invested.
      Thanks a lot Oggy,

I am definitely getting quicker now. But as I say, you do have to invest time; and also you have to give great consideration towards what it is that you want to achieve.

The double-CD concept did take me some time to get my thick skull around - at first I did not really want to choose this system - but now I can see it's value. To me, it's much better to have all of a boxset under one Folder, rather than: 'Disc-1', 'Disc-2', 'Disc-3', ... which just clogs up your playing device with surplus Folders.

I am going to start a new thread shortly on a specific question ...

Paul
      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-10-2017, 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2015

Thanks a lot Oggy,

I am definitely getting quicker now. But as I say, you do have to invest time; and also you have to give great consideration towards what it is that you want to achieve.

The double-CD concept did take me some time to get my thick skull around - at first I did not really want to choose this system - but now I can see it's value. To me, it's much better to have all of a boxset under one Folder, rather than: 'Disc-1', 'Disc-2', 'Disc-3', ... which just clogs up your playing device with surplus Folders.

I am going to start a new thread shortly on a specific question ...

Paul
        Hi Paul,

It definitely gets quicker after the first few, once everything, becomes second nature.

Obviously, most people want to get it right first time, and I was thinking of getting the main considerations together in one thread, to hopefully help achieve that aim. You have covered so much in your thread, and with the screenshots, got an excellent procedure going. Many of these tweaks, whilst not a disaster, make changes later, less likely, and closer to achieving the, right first time goal.

Hopefully this can help people in a similar position.

Other folk may have additional, or different, needs, particularly for Classical, and I for one could learn from others ideas and solutions.

Oggy
        Last edited by Oggy; 08-10-2017, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Hi Paul,

It definitely gets quicker after the first few, once everything, becomes second nature.

Obviously, most people want to get it right first time, and I was thinking of getting the main considerations together in one thread, to hopefully help achieve that aim. You have covered so much in your thread, and with the screenshots, got an excellent procedure going. Many of these tweaks, whilst not a disaster, make changes later, less likely, and closer to achieving the, right first time goal.

Hopefully this can help people in a similar position.

Other folk may have additional, or different, needs, particularly for Classical, and I for one could learn from others ideas and solutions.

Oggy
          Agree with Oggy on this! And wow, this thread has really grown in my week traveling away from my PC. Good stuff. And as Oggy says, we can point a lot of newcomers to this thread in the future and say "read this, then come back with specific questions".

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
            Agree with Oggy on this! And wow, this thread has really grown in my week traveling away from my PC. Good stuff. And as Oggy says, we can point a lot of newcomers to this thread in the future and say "read this, then come back with specific questions".
            Welcome back Gary,

Everyone missed you!

Yes, please feel free to direct any newbies to my screenshots etc.

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

...and also you have to give great consideration towards what it is that you want to achieve.

I wouldn't say I gave great consideration to it, but I knew that I wanted to replicate, how I had displayed my LPs, for 30+(+!) years.

I struggled with this concept early days. Apart from not having a naming scheme, that automatically handles, singles, multis and Compilations, not having a player, I focused on folders. From reading other people's posts, and your thread, it seems that I was not alone in this.

In Don's thread, I believe, Set-Up for Ripping, in the absence of a player, garym recommended using Foobar2000, to show how a player handles the files. Together with the naming scheme, this is such sound advice. I for one, would have reached a better solution, far quicker, using a real-world display, which is far smarter, than I, with how it treats Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, etc. I didn't need to join the CDs, the player does for you. This was my Eureka, moment: it may well be others, too.
              Last edited by Oggy; 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Oggy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2015

Welcome back Gary,

Everyone missed you!

Paul
                Agree to all!

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Welcome back Gary,

Everyone missed you!

Paul
                  I posted some foobar2000 stuff in your other thread on windows/foobar/etc.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Oggy,

If you mean weeding out all of the off-topic comments buried withing the 17 x pages of this thread - so as to produce a definitive version - then I think that would be a great idea.

I am not sure if Mr Spoon would have to perform this or if you, yourself, have this ability through Moderator status?

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

I wouldn't say I gave great consideration to it, but I knew that I wanted to replicate, how I had displayed my LPs, for 30+(+!) years.

I struggled with this concept early days. Apart from not having a naming scheme, that automatically handles, singles, multis and Compilations, not having a player, I focused on folders. From reading other people's posts, and your thread, it seems that I was not alone in this.

In Don's thread, I believe, Set-Up for Ripping, in the absence of a player, garym recommended using Foobar2000, to show how a player handles the files. Together with the naming scheme, this is such sound advice. I for one, would have reached a better solution, far quicker, using a real-world display, which is far smarter, than I, with how it treats Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, etc. I didn't need to join the CDs, the player does for you. This was my Eureka, moment: it may well be others, too.
                      Hi,

As a teenager, I only had a fairly small vinyl collection to be honest. Maybe 30 x LP's at that. I did have a lot of cassettes though, and preferred these.

I will have another question regarding 'compilation' type CDs but this can wait until I get to that particular stage. The question will relate to 'tagging'.

I have only played my old (original) mp3/wma collection through 'Foobar' as yet. But I may use it to double-check my newly ripped FLACS are playing/displaying correctly.

Oh btw, Sony just called and have told me to send in the Walkman for repair!

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Oggy,

If you mean weeding out all of the off-topic comments buried withing the 17 x pages of this thread - so as to produce a definitive version - then I think that would be a great idea.

I am not sure if Mr Spoon would have to perform this or if you, yourself, have this ability through Moderator status?

Paul
                        Hi Paul,

I'm simply a dBpoweramp user like you. I simply try and remember, how I felt, and what I was unsure about, a couple of years ago, when I started ripping, my CDs.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Hi,

I have ripped the following Miles Davis track three times now because I kept noticing a glitch (in the Trumpet and Sax). I kept thinking it was a corrupt-file, but then Accurate-Rip kept approving it. I swear I have never noticed this in 30 x years!

It happens once at about 0:49 and then a few seconds again at 1.19. So I looked it up on You Tube and the glitch is there also!:

Thanks,

Paul
                          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-10-2017, 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Hi - If an LP was released in the 1960s on (say) Columbia, and then the CD version of the same album was released in the 1990s on (say) Sony, then which LABEL do you use when 'tagging', please? Columbia or Sony?

And same question, please, for if a CD has been Remastered on a different label in (say) 2000's. Do you always stick with the original LP record company? Thanks.
                            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017, 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Paul, Now that you're moving along with the basics of ripping/tagging/naming, I should bring up the issue of ReplayGain tags. I noticed from one of your screen shots that you are not using these. Most people eventually want these tags. First, the basics:

1. replaygain is a way for "replaygain aware" players (and there are many, including foobar2000) to automatically adjust the volume difference between tracks or albums. You may have noticed that some CDs are very loud and some are quiet. So if one is playing tracks from different albums on shuffle, you'd be changing the volume often. ReplayGain (RG) tries to mitigate this. Read about it here:

2. RG tags do NOT change the underlying audio. The rips are bit-perfect copies of the CD. RG simply adds tags containing information for a RG-aware player to use. These tags are no different from ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK, etc. And if you never want to use them, you don't have to. But they are there just in case.

3. ReplayGain DSP is the only DSP I add when ripping CDs. I've attached some pictures to illustrate the following steps.

a. on your dbpa ripper page, in the bottom center, click on the DSP tab. Then "add" a DSP and choose ReplayGain (note, do not choose ReplayGain (Apply)...that's something different).

b. click on the settings next to ReplayGain DSP, and I suggest adding Track and Album tags.

c. click on advanced and follow my picture. (-18, and don't tick the clipping option)

Again, these are just tags. You don't have to use the info in these tags if you don't want. For example, in Foobar2000 there is a player setting that tells the player whether to use track, album, or "follow playback" RG mode. Follow playback is nice as it automatically uses "Album" tag if you are playing an entire album or "Track" if you are playing songs from different albums.

Last edited by garym; 08-11-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

Hi - If an LP was released in the 1960s on (say) Columbia, and then the CD version of the same album was released in the 1990s on (say) Sony, then which LABEL do you use when 'tagging', please? Columbia or Sony?

And same question, please, for if a CD has been Remastered on a different label in (say) 2000's. Do you always stick with the original LP record company? Thanks.
                                I'll typically use the actual info of the CD I'm ripping, but then add some of the other info to the COMMENT field. There's no right answer here....everyone does it differently.

Comment

Working...

]]>