title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by mville
    Ouch!
    Hi Mville,

That was back in 2007 when I bought my first ever PC. I just went with the defaults (Win_XP).

I would say that most of them sound terrible and also about 15% skip/jump etc.

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      Thanks very much Oggy,

I spent another hour on trying to get it right.

I took a screenshot of each stage of the process, but have not, as yet, tested it out on my Walkman. Hopefully it will work this time.

I really appreciate your kind help.

Cheers,

Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1443[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1445[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1446[/ATTACH]
      Hi Paul,

I can't see any reason why this shouldn't work as you want it to. More importantly, if you are happy with the folder structure, and how / what is displayed on your player, you have an easily repeatable methodology, that works for nearly every disc, you can throw at it!

Oggy

Comment

• MadFish
        • Aug 2017

First ever post. I am a music fanatic. Over the last couple of years I have spent several dollars upgrading my music delivery system. I also have spent hundreds of hours coping and recopying my 1000's of CD into my library. I went through BDpoweramp and copied all to AIFF files "same as source". My problem is that I have blown eight pairs of speaker, six CM10's and one CM9 driven by a 350 watt amp (LIKE IT LOUD). I think my music is clipping. I do not have a clipping meter on my Rotel 1590 amp. Now I am wondering if I should recopy to FLAC. My question is can I recopy my library to change from AIFF to FLAC and have better quality and most of all consistent music. Any Help. I have dealt with a lot of people all over the country (Bowers and Wilkens, ROtel, Listenup, BestBuy Magnolia Dept.) who all say that they know and in the end another speaker is blown.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
          I can't see any reason why this shouldn't work as you want it to. More importantly, if you are happy with the folder structure, and how / what is displayed on your player, you have an easily repeatable methodology, that works for nearly every disc, you can throw at it!
          Evening Oggy,

Your help has been fantastic here!

It appears to have worked according to my eyes.

RE: "folder structure" - if it works then I am happy to go along with whatever it decides to do.

On my Sony player, the double-CD ("Dark Magus") now appears under one roof and plays both sides from top to bottom without stopping; I checked between - what would have been - tracks: 'Disc_1_01' and 'Disc_2_01'. So now the Sony Walkman album consists of 8 x tracks (rather than two 4 x 4 in separate folders).

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Hi Oggy,

Regarding your earlier kind advice over Artwork, I made your configurations and it seems that 'dBpa' automatically selects - as it's first choice - album covers which are closest to the preferred: '1000 x 1000' dimensions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Art_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	293423

Name:	Art_2.png
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	293424

I think all is set correctly here, if I may, please?

Secondly, on my Walkman player, when I select: 'Artist' (ie. so as to browse through the different 'Artists' I have saved onto the device), the 'Folder' (icon) of which contains all of Miles Davis' music has the artwork of the album-name closest to the first letter of the alphabet. So, "Dark Magus" starts with the letter 'D' (doh!) and therefore it uses the artwork from that CD (fair enough I suppose).

I wonder if this is because (see screengrab) I have not attached(?) any specific artwork to the 'Miles Davis' Folder within my 'monsterjazzlicks-FLAC' folder (ie. on my PC?):

Name:	Art_3.png
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	293425

And so my question being: is it possible to CHANGE the 'Miles Davis' Folder icon so that (say) the below PNG would appear (instead of "Dark Magus"), please?:

Name:	Miles_Folder_Icon.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	293426

This is all very exciting!
            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-09-2017, 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Hi again,

I have a question about DATES, please.

In 'Date', do you state the date of the recording-session or concert, or, the date of the release of the album?

The only date I am inputting is the album release date. This is, because, some albums (compilation or otherwise) have multiple recording dates!

One I am currently working on is 'Miles Davis In Concert - Phil. Hall'. The concert was in September of 1972, but the release date (of the LP) was in 1973:

Name:	Dates.png
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	293428

I have ripped about 10 x CDs now using this protocol, but I only just really gave it consideration because I am - for the first time - working with a live album. I'm thinkin' along the lines of: if you go with just the RELEASE date then you kinda can't go wrong?

Paul

N.B. I suppose I could always add the tag: 'Recorded ****'?:

Name:	Date.png
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	293429
              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-09-2017, 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jailhouse
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2016

I go with release date because I like an artist's releases sorted in more-or-less chronological order. (If two albums are released in the same year, the title for the later release might come alphabetically before the earlier one. I can live with that.) For a CD remaster I still use the original release date.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                  I go with release date because I like an artist's releases sorted in more-or-less chronological order. (If two albums are released in the same year, the title for the later release might come alphabetically before the earlier one. I can live with that.) For a CD remaster I still use the original release date.
                  Cheers JH,

Yes, that's what I have been doing so far, thanks.

Interesting to hear you back-date the remaster!

I am adding the 'Remaster' date in the 'comment' field:

Name:	Comment.png
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	293430

Cheers,

Paul

N.B. - What I am worried about is when I have to tackle an album such as: Miles Davis "Bitches Brew", where there are 3 or 4 different recording-session dates (albeit the 'release' date remains the same).

Comment

• Oggy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Evening Oggy,

Your help has been fantastic here!

It appears to have worked according to my eyes.

RE: "folder structure" - if it works then I am happy to go along with whatever it decides to do.

On my Sony player, the double-CD ("Dark Magus") now appears under one roof and plays both sides from top to bottom without stopping; I checked between - what would have been - tracks: 'Disc_1_01' and 'Disc_2_01'. So now the Sony Walkman album consists of 8 x tracks (rather than two 4 x 4 in separate folders).

Paul
                    Hi Paul,

Pleased that your files are doing, what you want them to do!

The real help is the naming script, and together with the excellent software, this allows us to achieve great results, with relative ease, especially given the power of dBpoweramp. Most of us want to do it once, do it right, but starting out, it's not always obvious, what "right", is.

With the aid of your screenshots, and logical progression, hopefully this will help others, get to their "right," sooner.

Comment

• Oggy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2015

Cheers JH,

Yes, that's what I have been doing so far, thanks.

Interesting to hear you back-date the remaster!

I am adding the 'Remaster' date in the 'comment' field:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1460[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Paul

N.B. - What I am worried about is when I have to tackle an album such as: Miles Davis "Bitches Brew", where there are 3 or 4 different recording-session dates (albeit the 'release' date remains the same).
                      Many live albums are taken from recordings from different nights. So, I always go with original release date. We tend to talk about the 50th anniversary, since the release of.....

If I have Remasters, I may put which one, in, Comments.

Anything else, I can look up, if it's important. It won't be long before, lyrics, photos, and any information you may want, will be available, whilst playing any album.
                      Last edited by Oggy; 08-09-2017, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Hi Paul,

Pleased that your files are doing, what you want them to do!

The real help is the naming script, and together with the excellent software, this allows us to achieve great results, with relative ease, especially given the power of dBpoweramp. Most of us want to do it once, do it right, but starting out, it's not always obvious, what "right", is.

With the aid of your screenshots, and logical progression, hopefully this will help others, get to their "right," sooner.
                        Hi Oggy,

Well I am - and always have been! - a slow learner. I really think you have to keep performing trial-and-errors with 'dBpa'. So, you make a mistake a couple of times but then you never make the same one again.

It has taken me two weeks to rip 10 x CDs!; and even now I am still not happy with some aspects. They may need to be re-done. But I am much closer to attaining what I want than I was last week, that's for sure.

With the screenshots, I hope it made yours, and everyone else's, explaining a bit easier. And I would like to think that I have contributed something - albeit small - to making this forum a good source point for other newbies.

I do have more questions but I will leave them until the next sunrise ...

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Hi Oggy,

Regarding your earlier kind advice over Artwork, I made your configurations and it seems that 'dBpa' automatically selects - as it's first choice - album covers which are closest to the preferred: '1000 x 1000' dimensions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1452[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1453[/ATTACH]

I think all is set correctly here, if I may, please?

Secondly, on my Walkman player, when I select: 'Artist' (ie. so as to browse through the different 'Artists' I have saved onto the device), the 'Folder' (icon) of which contains all of Miles Davis' music has the artwork of the album-name closest to the first letter of the alphabet. So, "Dark Magus" starts with the letter 'D' (doh!) and therefore it uses the artwork from that CD (fair enough I suppose).

I wonder if this is because (see screengrab) I have not attached(?) any specific artwork to the 'Miles Davis' Folder within my 'monsterjazzlicks-FLAC' folder (ie. on my PC?):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1454[/ATTACH]

And so my question being: is it possible to CHANGE the 'Miles Davis' Folder icon so that (say) the below PNG would appear (instead of "Dark Magus"), please?:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1456[/ATTACH]

This is all very exciting!
                          Art 1 and 2 look good. If I don't like any of the artwork, I'll do a quick online search, or scan the sleeve. Version16, makes this easier.

Your next question; not a clue! I rip to my NAS, and as long as the right disc is in the correctly named folder, its only purpose, is to supply music files to play. Each folder, holds 1 disc, with its own Folder.jpg.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Many live albums are taken from recordings from different nights. So, I always go with original release date. We tend to talk about the 50th anniversary, since the release of.....

If I have Remasters, I may put which one, in, Comments.
                            OK, thanks.

Exactly, you might have a double-CD which comprises 'highlights' from a live tour. Hypothetically, each track could be from a different gig/date!

I follow the same rule regarding: 'Remasters' in 'Comments'.

Paul
                            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-09-2017, 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Art 1 and 2 look good. If I don't like any of the artwork, I'll do a quick online search, or scan the sleeve. Version16, makes this easier.

Your next question; not a clue! I rip to my NAS, and as long as the right disc is in the correctly named folder, its only purpose, is to supply music files to play. Each folder, holds 1 disc, with its own Folder.jpg.
                              Oggy,

So you just see the 'Artist' folder as a means-to-an-end? It is what it is and you leave it be.

I was thinking of customizing the 'Master Folder' icon for each Artist, but I am not sure if it's possible, or even worthwhile. Had you have had suc a method, and applied it yourself, they I would have followed suit.

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Apr 2015

Hi Oggy,

Well I am - and always have been! - a slow learner. I really think you have to keep performing trial-and-errors with 'dBpa'. So, you make a mistake a couple of times but then you never make the same one again.

It has taken me two weeks to rip 10 x CDs!; and even now I am still not happy with some aspects. They may need to be re-done. But I am much closer to attaining what I want than I was last week, that's for sure.

With the screenshots, I hope it made yours, and everyone else's, explaining a bit easier. And I would like to think that I have contributed something - albeit small - to making this forum a good source point for other newbies.

I do have more questions but I will leave them until the next sunrise ...

Paul
                                Hey Paul,

Within a couple of weeks, you have pretty much got dBpoweramp set up, to give you a music library, that will have minimal errors, look consistent, with good art, on most apps, and be searchable, by all the main options.

You could also probably rip your next 10 CDs, in three hours, right first time, with the tags that are important to you. Because you have a good naming scheme, and understand the tags, you could probably rip a 10 CD compilation, and get it right, first time. You are all set, to rip through your CDs.

You may use your music library for years to come, so two weeks time investment, to get it right first time, is time well invested.

Oggy

Comment

Working...

]]>