title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Set-Up for Ripping

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schmidj
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2013

Re: Set-Up for Ripping

Are you using the multi-encoder? If so, the naming string has to be inserted in the setup for each of the encoders, click the encoder tab to display the names of the encoders, click settings for each of the encoders, and paste the string into "output to" box. You'll want a different directory at the head of the string for each encoder unless you want your differently encoded files all mixed together.

Comment

• Ripsy
      • Aug 2017

Thanks, all, for the help. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been checking the settings and ripping. I think what's happening is, the settings and naming string are correct (I followed all of your instructions), but my inability to view things as I think they should be is owing to my inexperience using Windows 8's grouping and sorting view options. Still, I can see that all the tracks are grouped with artist and track, I just need to learn the settings to see everything as I'm pretty sure the tagging allows. Little things still vex me, such as why there are 60 ALAC files categorized as "Unspecified," but only two FLAC tracks so named. I'm also trying to sort these tracks back into the proper albums after they've been ripped to both folders (a definite drawback when you're batch ripping). Still, I think I'm making some progress and learning. Thanks again, all.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Ripsy
        Thanks, all, for the help. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been checking the settings and ripping. I think what's happening is, the settings and naming string are correct (I followed all of your instructions), but my inability to view things as I think they should be is owing to my inexperience using Windows 8's grouping and sorting view options. Still, I can see that all the tracks are grouped with artist and track, I just need to learn the settings to see everything as I'm pretty sure the tagging allows. Little things still vex me, such as why there are 60 ALAC files categorized as "Unspecified," but only two FLAC tracks so named. I'm also trying to sort these tracks back into the proper albums after they've been ripped to both folders (a definite drawback when you're batch ripping). Still, I think I'm making some progress and learning. Thanks again, all.
        There's no reason you ever need to move things around after ripping if you set up things correctly in dbpa. Even if you're ripping to both FLAC and ALAC. What is showing as unspecified? The artist name? the album name? the track name? the genre? or ???? Some CDs don't find metadata, so you have to enter this manually before ripping.

Comment

• Ripsy
          • Aug 2017

It seems to be one or two cd's with no metadata, which I should have entered before ripping (batch ripping prevented that). The others are tracks from cd's that weren't identified via metadata (again, batch ripping precluded me from catching this). Fortunately, in some players I can change the metadata there.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

It seems to be one or two cd's with no metadata, which I should have entered before ripping (batch ripping prevented that). The others are tracks from cd's that weren't identified via metadata (again, batch ripping precluded me from catching this). Fortunately, in some players I can change the metadata there.
            Do you realize that after ripping, you can always go to windows explorer, find the album itself (folder) or any specific files within the folder, right click, then select "dbpoweramp Edit ID-Tags" and you'll then get a popup window that allows you to edit album level tags (e.g., album name or artist name), or you can edit track level tags (eg. track name).

Comment

• Ripsy
              • Aug 2017

No, I didn't know that, thanks, I'll try it as I clean up things. I've been learning Windows again (been Mac user for so long, that I'm a foreigner in the pc world), so I'm slowly learning windows and dbpoweramp at the same time. I think I have enough ripped that I'm going to play around with iTunes and Roon to see how well the ripping plays out in the listening. Also, my wife has a lot of singles and obscure r&b that doesn't have metadata, so I'm switching out batch ripper for cd ripper and setting metadata before ripping. Funny thing is, she'll probably never listen to any of this, and just stream Spotify forever, but it's been good practice for me. And if the rips work with iTunes and Roon, after all this, I'm listening to her whole collection, whether I like it or not!

Comment

• Ripsy
                • Aug 2017

Quick quandary: My metadata works fine (for the most part) in iTunes, but tons of albums lack album art and compilations torn apart in JRiver Media Center. Anyone know any tips about tagging to work with JRiver MC?

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Quick quandary: My metadata works fine (for the most part) in iTunes, but tons of albums lack album art and compilations torn apart in JRiver Media Center. Anyone know any tips about tagging to work with JRiver MC?
                  If JRiver is pulling apart your compilations, it is not recognizing them as compilations. I don't use JRiver, but i assume you need to either make sure the compilation tag is set to a value of "1", or make the ALBUM ARTIST = Various Artists, or make sure all the files are in the same folder, or maybe it requires all 3 of these things to be true. I'd first make sure the compilation tag is set. hard to believe JRiver wouldn't recognize that.

Comment

• Ripsy
                    • Aug 2017

Thanks, garym, you're absolutely right. When I edited the metadata and entered Album Artist=Various Artists, it worked like a charm. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Ripsy
                      • Aug 2017

By the way, will I need to always put the change in manually with compilations, or is there a way to put in ALBUM ARTIST = Various Artists in the naming string for when I rip compilations?

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

By the way, will I need to always put the change in manually with compilations, or is there a way to put in ALBUM ARTIST = Various Artists in the naming string for when I rip compilations?
                        I think manually

Comment

• Ripsy
                          • Aug 2017

Ok, thanks.

Comment

• Ripsy
                            • Aug 2017

After ripping, I have a few tracks in the "Unassigned" file (with the original albums short those tracks, naturally). Is there a best practice for moving the unassigned tracks to album folders where they ought to be?

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

After ripping, I have a few tracks in the "Unassigned" file (with the original albums short those tracks, naturally). Is there a best practice for moving the unassigned tracks to album folders where they ought to be?

Odd. Must be something different about artist or album tag. I'd simply move the files to the right folder. Then I'd open all this complete album files and edit all the ID tags to be consistent. May need to rename files as well to match. To keep from happening double check your tag values before finalizing ripping.

Comment

• Ripsy
                                • Aug 2017

Thanks, I'll try it. I really appreciate the advice, garym.

Comment

Working...

]]>