title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping to two codecs, help needed with ReplayGain

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisbope
    • Mar 2017

Ripping to two codecs, help needed with ReplayGain

I would like to rip simultaneously to two codecs and also perform ReplayGain on both sets of files, but in a different way. FLAC files with RG tags added go straight to my NAS which get played back in foobar2000 on my computers or through Kodi on my HTPC. The second set of files are in m4a format for playback on my iPod classic and in my Audi MMI audio system from an SD card, but these files needs to have RG "burned into" them since neither device supports RG tags during playback.

I am currently using the multi-encoder for this and the FLAC path works exactly as I want it to. Since the iPod and Audi MMI don't support RG playback, I need to apply RG to the files as they are written to disk (or afterwards in a batch) *before* they get encoded to m4a. The end result is that RG is permanently applied to the m4a files, and this is fine for my application since these files only ever get played back on devices that don't support RG.

I tried adding the RG "apply" DSP to the m4a encoder, but the files were not affected in any way that I can tell. Certainly when I play them back they are at full volume.

My old way of doing this was to rip to FLAC+RG and wav, then manually run Wavegain on the intermediate wav files to burn the RG into the files and finally to add the wav files to iTunes and encode them to m4a. This is a very cumbersome, manual process.

Is there a way to configure CD ripper to get what I want from a single rip? FLAC's with RG tags and m4a's with "burned-in" RG.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping to two codecs, help needed with ReplayGain

You would use the Volume Normalize DSP effect, set to EBU normalization.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chrisbope
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Spoon
      You would use the Volume Normalize DSP effect, set to EBU normalization.
      ... to the m4a encoder inside the multi-encoder or as a separate DSP effect after the multi-encoder? Will that give me album levels or just track level RG? I want to have album levels, not really interested in track levels only.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It is not possible to do album level in one go, you would have to replaygain the source files then use replaygain apply affect.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• chrisbope
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Spoon
          It is not possible to do album level in one go, you would have to replaygain the source files then use replaygain apply affect.
          Ok, thanks. Consider it a feature request for R17 then

Comment

Working...

]]>