title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

iPod Plays AIFF but Not ALAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BNR_1
    • Feb 2017

iPod Plays AIFF but Not ALAC

Hello Folks:

This is my 1st post to this forum.

I am currently using the CD ripper for creating ALAC files from CDs. I followed the guide for the steps. Everything seems to work fine. I use Copy Trans Manager to copy and syn the ALAC files to the iPod. Everything seems to work. When I try to play the music nothing happens. In iPod, I can read the music title and see the art work, but there is no music. The music timer does not show. This iPod works fine because I was able to use a different program to create the ALAC file and it played correctly. When I switched operating system (Windows 7 to Windows 10), the prior program no longer functioned correctly thus the switch to dBpoweramp. BTW great product.

When I click on the music file using Windows Explorer and select media properties it shows that it is ALAC, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, 2 channel (stereo), etc.

Here is the thing. I switch the "Rip to" encoder to AIFF. Following the exact same steps above and the music plays fine on the my iPod. I could go this route, but the files are about 100% larger.

Help!!!.

Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: iPod Plays AIFF but Not ALAC

How old is the iPod? it could be it cannot play the latest Apple Lossless files.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BNR_1
      • Feb 2017

Hi Spoon. My iPod is the 6th generation classic. It has 160 GB in memory. I purchased it new about two years ago.

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

Hey BNR_1,

Originally posted by BNR_1
        My iPod is the 6th generation classic. It has 160 GB in memory. I purchased it new about two years ago.
        that sounds quiet actual, but the 6th generation has been released in 2007 and got a small update in 2009.

Dat Ei

Comment

• BNR_1
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Dat Ei
          Hey BNR_1,

that sounds quiet actual, but the 6th generation has been released in 2007 and got a small update in 2009.

Dat Ei
          Thanks Dat. I did not intend to imply that my iPod was a recent generation. I knew they stopped making these models some time ago. My comment about purchasing new was simply to point out that it wasn't purchased used.

So is the ALAC codec in dBpoweramp to new for this model?

Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

We use the latest Apple code, it is apples own code which is creating the alac files.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BNR_1
              • Feb 2017

Thanks Spoon.

So I decided that maybe it is not the ALAC codec but something related to my software for loading and syncing the iPod. I use Copy Trans Manager (CTM). It is a freeware that works pretty good. My version was outdated so I loaded the latest version. Now the software is a hit and miss. Sometimes it starts and other times it did not. But when the latest version of CTM worked, and I was able to load my recent ALAC files (those ripped using dBpoweramp), the iPod played the song...ALAC version. But because the latest version of CTM is giving me problems, I went back to the older version so at least it starts consistently and it allows me to load my iPod with AIFF files. It is much bigger files, but at least it works for the time being. I tried google to see if the latest CTM had problems loading on PCs, but I could not find anything. Oh well.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by BNR_1
                So I decided that maybe it is not the ALAC codec but something related to my software for loading and syncing the iPod. I use Copy Trans Manager (CTM). It is a freeware that works pretty good. My version was outdated so I loaded the latest version. Now the software is a hit and miss. Sometimes it starts and other times it did not. But when the latest version of CTM worked, and I was able to load my recent ALAC files (those ripped using dBpoweramp), the iPod played the song...ALAC version. But because the latest version of CTM is giving me problems, I went back to the older version so at least it starts consistently and it allows me to load my iPod with AIFF files. It is much bigger files, but at least it works for the time being. I tried google to see if the latest CTM had problems loading on PCs, but I could not find anything. Oh well.
                Why not use iTunes to sync your library with the iPod?

Comment

Working...

]]>