title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripped CD's and 7zip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrcd
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Feb 2012

Ripped CD's and 7zip

I've notice at times when I may find myself listing to ripped tracks and at the same time performing an archive single zip file of the same album discover later that the data that CD ripper puts there is removed. I know I ripped thie CD because there are 3 CDs in the series and the others maintain their CD from CDRipper.

Anyone have an idea what in the sam hill is happening here?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Ripped CD's and 7zip

When you say the data is removed, are you referring to the files being removed or the metadata/tags being removed?

To confirm, you have a 3 CD album, you are listening to CD1 and at the same time using 7zip to archive CD1. After using 7zip, the CD1 tracks and/or metadata are missing?

How are you listening to the tracks and is this all happening after you have finished ripping or whilst the tracks are being ripped, in CDRipper?

Once I understand what you are doing, I can try to replicate.
    Last edited by mville; 04-13-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• mrcd
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Feb 2012

metadata was removed. It was not a three CD album just three in a series that I ripped one after the other when I got them. I was listening to a track of the one I was zipping. I suppose it happened while I was listening possibly the zip program didn't like me listening while it was zipping. I was listening with Foobar2000

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mrcd
        metadata was removed. It was not a three CD album just three in a series that I ripped one after the other when I got them. I was listening to a track of the one I was zipping. I suppose it happened while I was listening possibly the zip program didn't like me listening while it was zipping. I was listening with Foobar2000
        Depending on your configuration, I suspect you were zipping the tracks before the metadata was written to the files. For example, the ReplayGain DSP does not write ReplayGain Album tags until all tracks have been ripped. It is also possible, that accessing ripped files during the ripping process by another application, may lock the files for writing.

I suggest you rip your CDs and only attempt to access/play them, when the rip has completed.

Comment

• mrcd
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mville
          Depending on your configuration, I suspect you were zipping the tracks before the metadata was written to the files. For example, the ReplayGain DSP does not write ReplayGain Album tags until all tracks have been ripped. It is also possible, that accessing ripped files during the ripping process by another application, may lock the files for writing.

I suggest you rip your CDs and only attempt to access/play them, when the rip has completed.
          What I failed to mention was the only track missing metadata was the one I was listening to.

Comment

• schmidj
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2013

What software are you listening to the tracks with? Some software has default options to look up metadata on its own and sometimes replace what was already there. I believe both Itunes and Windows Media Player have this issue, depending on how their options are set up. Look carefully at the setup options for your player to see if it is "updating" the metadata when you play the track.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mrcd
              What I failed to mention was the only track missing metadata was the one I was listening to.
              That is what I was alluding to regarding locked files. It is possible that if the file was in use by foobar2000, CDRipper may not of been able to write to it. As I say, let the rip complete before using the files.

Comment

• mrcd
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mville
                That is what I was alluding to regarding locked files. It is possible that if the file was in use by foobar2000, CDRipper may not of been able to write to it. As I say, let the rip complete before using the files.
                listen with Foobar

Comment

Working...

]]>