title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Encoding quality?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spleen
    • Mar 2016

Encoding quality?

New to music streaming and have been recommended to re-rip my CDs using dbpoweramp to a NAS and stream to my media player. Question is, what quality should I be aiming for for audiophile quality, Level 8 or Lossless Uncompressed? I've just ripped a couple of CDs today and they are being stored like this, is this ideal or should I be doing something else? (These are currently being stored on my iMac but once I've ripped them all I would copy them across to a NAS which I've yet to buy).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 13.42.33.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	297044

Thanks for any help offered!
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Encoding quality?

Originally posted by Spleen
    New to music streaming and have been recommended to re-rip my CDs using dbpoweramp to a NAS and stream to my media player. Question is, what quality should I be aiming for for audiophile quality, Level 8 or Lossless Uncompressed? I've just ripped a couple of CDs today and they are being stored like this, is this ideal or should I be doing something else? (These are currently being stored on my iMac but once I've ripped them all I would copy them across to a NAS which I've yet to buy).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]926[/ATTACH]

Thanks for any help offered!
    You are misunderstanding "compression levels" and its connection with quality (don't confuse compression in a FLAC context with compression in a lossy context (e.g., mp3) as these are entirely different things). FLAC files are all lossless and decode to be played as bitperfect lossless audio files. The "uncompressed" up to -8 compression only has to do with the file size. The FLAC encoder has to work a bit harder or longer to ENCODE to -8 (smallest file size), but this doesn't change the fact that the file is LOSSLESS. Personally I use FLAC at the default of "-5" compression.

Comment

• Spleen
      • Mar 2016

Re: Encoding quality?

Ok, thanks. I'll stick with the default setting for now then. What do you think about the way the ripped files are being stored, does it matter?

Comment

Working...

]]>