title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD offset issue, W7

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schmidj
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2013

CD offset issue, W7

This is a question I suspect only Spoon can answer. My W7 64 computer I use for most of my ripping has 6 CD rom drives. Why so many, I use it as a duplicator for CDs of location recordings I make. Three sata drives are one make. The other three drives are connected by Sabrent SATA to USB adapters, three different make drives.

Normally I rip in dBpoweramp using the three SATA connected drives, but will use one or another of the SATA-USB drives if I have a CD that comes up with read errors, as two of them are high on the "good drive" list, and they do, in fact, read scratched CDs much better. All the drives were "calibrated" for the ripper.

Everything generally works well. However I just had a little issue. I am suspicious that the ripper stores its calibration data by the drive letter, not by the manufacturer's ID or something specific to the physical drive. Today, I had an external hard drive connected (also by USB) and Windows, in its infinite wisdom, changed the drive letters to give the hard drive a lower letter than the CD drives. It took the CD drive which was "kicked out" and gave it a new letter one higher than the previous drives. Now I had used that drive ripping for a while, it never asked to be calibrated until I put a particular CD in, one that is not in accurate rip, I'm certain (its of Trinidadian Christmas music.) I clicked on "don't calibrate" and ripped the CD which came up as secure, not in accuraterip. So I then fed the drive a CD that I was pretty sure was in Accuraterip and it asked about calibration, I said yes. It quickly calibrated the drive. So I'm very suspicious that the ripper calibrates by drive letter. Is that correct?

One reason I'm concerned is because the USB drives, which are three different makes, sometimes come up in a different order, apparently depending on which usb port "wakes up" first. Therefore, the drive letter may not match the one the drive was calibrated with, and in my case may be a different make with a different offset, and therefore be mis-calibrated.

Is this an issue? Am I all wet? Is something else going on? Is there some way to make USB drives keep their letters? (yes, I could unplug them and plug them in one-by-one every time I boot, but that would be a pain, as the USB connectors are on the back of the computer...

Also, I'm puzzled why it wanted to calibrate with a CD that wasn't in accurate rip and therefore couldn't calibrate the drive.
    Last edited by schmidj; March 19, 2016, 06:13 AM. Reason: Proofread after submitting...
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: CD offset issue, W7

Calibration is stored with drive letter + drive name.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>