title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping Classical CDs

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sleepingbee
    • May 2015

Ripping Classical CDs

Hi, I'm about to embark on ripping my classical CDs. Now, I've been told to put the Composer's name into the artist field, surname first. This makes sense. Obviously they'll go into the composer field, as well. But what about the orchestra and soloists? Should they go into Album Artist? What I notice a lot on streaming sites is that all the information is on every track, so you can't even see where you are when it's playing. I'd appreciate any insights. Robert
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripping Classical CDs

This may help. Get all the info you may want into some tag. You can always easily move info from one tag to another in the future with dbpa or mp3tag if your future player works differently with tags.
    Edit: and why not put orchestra in orchestra tag and performers in performers tag, etc. you can have lots of tags other that artist, album artist or composer.

Last edited by garym; February 27, 2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• schmidj
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2013

Different things for different folk... Now in my catalog, which has no provision for composer, I put the composer of classical works in the artist field. But in metadata for audio files, I put the composer in the composer field, the artist (s) in the artist field, often the orchestra, a semicolon, and then the conductor. Since some players/renderers don't display the composer, I add the composer, in parenthesis, at the end of the title: Symphony No. 5 (Beethoven). It works for me without messing up the artist tag, as although I want to see the composer, I do also care about who is performing.

Comment

• Sleepingbee
        • May 2015

Hi, thanks all. I'm wondering where the "conductor" box is on CD Ripper?

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Sleepingbee
          Hi, thanks all. I'm wondering where the "conductor" box is on CD Ripper?
          have you ticked "conductor" in the options settings under ID Tags and metadata. see picture:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	293118

Comment

• Sleepingbee
            • May 2015

I have indeed, but it doesn't appear. Using a Mac (your pic is of the PC interface)

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

I have indeed, but it doesn't appear. Using a Mac (your pic is of the PC interface)
              Have you also included it in the metadata tag on the ripping screen. You can "add tag" and then enter Conductor. See picture for what it looks like on my windows machine.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	293119

Comment

• Sleepingbee
                • May 2015

I've only ever seen it look like that when I go into individual edits in the finder. How do I get that up in the app?

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

I've only ever seen it look like that when I go into individual edits in the finder. How do I get that up in the app?
                  not sure. Spoon will have to chime in.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

If you select the metadata tab (bottom middle of screen) you can add all tags there.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>