title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Help Required Unable to rip HDCD to 24 bit Flac

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive101
    • Feb 2016

Help Required Unable to rip HDCD to 24 bit Flac

I have a HDCD, cover and cd confirm it's a HDCD and when I rip to lossless Flac all I get is 16 bit 44hz

I am using the trail version.

Do I have to use the paid for version and set the DSP effect in the option list..?

Thank you Clive
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Help Required Unable to rip HDCD to 24 bit Flac

You need to include the HDCD dsp effect.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Clive101
      • Feb 2016

Hello Thank you for the answer.
      I did try the HDCD DSP effect with and without the 6db gain still no luck, all I got was 16 bit.
      It might be a trail version I am using ...?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

It could be the CD is not actually HDCD? try playing in Windows Media Player, if is HDCD then a logo is shown saying it is.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Clive101
          • Feb 2016

Yes I thought it might be but I checked the HDCD and it has the logo in a hologram, on the shoulder of the CD and printed on the CD.
          Then I stumbled on this http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm , it seems DSP does not work on the trail version...?
          Any other idea..?

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Clive101
            Hello Thank you for the answer.
            I did try the HDCD DSP effect with and without the 6db gain still no luck, all I got was 16 bit.
            It might be a trail version I am using ...?
            Which CD is it (artist, title)? What is your media player?

Comment

• Clive101
              • Feb 2016

The CD is VERY VERY VERY Audiophile 3 made by hitman jazz
              The cover states 24 bit mastering ( which I know does not mean its 24 bit ) but the cd case hologram and print states HDCD.
              All I trying to do is get a 24 bit Flac from the CD for my QPr1.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

The CD is VERY VERY VERY Audiophile 3 made by hitman jazz
                The cover states 24 bit mastering ( which I know does not mean its 24 bit ) but the cd case hologram and print states HDCD.
                All I trying to do is get a 24 bit Flac from the CD for my QPr1.
                24 bit mastering on a CD cover *rarely*(actually probably never) means that the CD is 24 bits. In fact, if it is a CD, even a HDCD CD, it won't be 24 bits, it will be 16 bits with HDCD.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

garym is right. 24 bit mastering is referring to the processes prior to and during the creation of the masters and not the actual CD.

HDCDs still conform to the Redbook Audio CD standard (16-bit, 44.1kHz), but claim to have increased dynamic range.

For end users using a media player that supports HDCD decoding on playback, there is no need to use the HDCD DSP at all.

If you need to rip an HDCD with the HDCD DSP, you will get 24-bit files (effectively 20-bit as the last 4 bits are empty).

In CDRipper, what is the Track Technical column showing, for the VERY! Audiophile 3 CD?
                  Last edited by mville; February 17, 2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Clive101
                    • Feb 2016

Yes agreed but the cd has etched on it HDCD and the packaging has HDCD and the manufacturer has confirmed HDCD, it could be a duff cd ..?

I am using the free trail version http://www.dbpoweramp.com/db-versions.htm and it does say the HDCD does not work with it but tech said there is no limitations..?

I installed the codec pack and added it to the dsp setting when ripping but still no luck.

Might purchase another HDCD to double check what do you think ..?

Comment

• Clive101
                      • Feb 2016

The Track Technical column shows blank after I added it to the view and refreshed the CD, so perhaps the trail version does not have HDCD enabled ?

Yes I understand the mastering issue, thank you.

It's that either the cd is duff although it does state HDCD on the CD, CD packaging and the manufacturer confirms the same, but when ripping with the DSP enabled for HDCD I still get 16 bit 44.1kHz.

Perhaps I need to purchase another HDCD as a second test and then upgrade to a paid for version ..?
                      Last edited by Clive101; February 19, 2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

The Track Technical column shows blank after I added it to the view and refreshed the CD, so perhaps the trail version does not have HDCD enabled ?
                        If the Track Technical column is not showing HDCD for any tracks, then CDRipper does not believe the CD has any HDCD tracks, so you will always get 16-bit, 44.1kHz rips from this CD.

I cannot comment on the trial version of CDRipper in respect to HDCDs.

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                          If the Track Technical column is not showing HDCD for any tracks, then CDRipper does not believe the CD has any HDCD tracks, so you will always get 16-bit, 44.1kHz rips from this CD.

I cannot comment on the trial version of CDRipper in respect to HDCDs.
                          Also keep in mind that there are numerous examples of CDs that are advertised as being HDCD when in fact they possess none of the HDCD attributes. There's a long thread on this forum that mentions that (something on best practices and HDCD). There's also discussion on this at hydrogenaud.io on that topic.

My understanding is that the trial is full version, just time limited. As mentioned, if you play this via WMP and a capable DAC, does it show up at HDCD? HDCD is a windows owned product.

Comment

• Clive101
                            • Feb 2016

Ok I now will purchase another cd and update shortly before the trial ends I hope.

Comment

• Clive101
                              • Feb 2016

Hello All,

The two new HDCDs have been delivered.

HDCD sampler No 1 in the technical column HDCD was displayed and it ripped 24 bit 44.1 kHz

Amarok Mike Oldfield the technical column displayed no information it was blank but after ripping I noticed that in the ripping notes HDCD was detected and it ripped 24 bit 44.1 KHZ.

The first HDCD could not have been a HDCD !

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...

]]>